We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

Central scoland
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
68 reviews
2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

Hi all,

we are thinking of spending two weeks in Dubrovnik next summer. Is 2 weeks to long in Dubovnik, is there plenty to do for 2 weeks. I would really appreciate any advice on this matter as we have never been before.

Many thanks

Geraldine

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
66,695 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: 2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

I love Dubrovnik but two weeks is much too long...I think in that amount of time you could get to at least one or maybe two other places... places such as Korcula, Hvar or the Makarska Riviera are places you should look into.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
561 reviews
2. Re: 2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

in 2 weeks you could see Istria, and island and lots more. 4 days would be the max for us in Dub.

Central scoland
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: 2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

Many thanks for replies. You have gave me something to think about. Im just not very good at organising holidays. We were planning on renting accomodation privately. Its the transfering from place to place and returning to the airport that concerns me. I usually stay in the same place for the 2 weeks. Nor sure what to do now.

Thanks again

Geraldine

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: 2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

Hey Geraldine:-) Although I only spent 4 days in this beautiful City..could have certainly lingered on;-) Believe much depends on how you plan on spending that time..it's a real personal call..if it's just to take in the 'highlights' then a few days certainly work.. But if you're looking to lay back, take in the food, culture, some day trips..hanging out at a beach (the waters are incredible), then you can very well take in the 2 weeks and settle in..and enjoy!

Central scoland
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: 2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

Thanks Litsa.

your comments are a great help. We want to do few daytrips not sure what though any ideas would be greatly appreciated, We also enjoy eating out and visiting bars. We tend to be a couple that enjoys doing everything at a slow pace.. We were thinking of staying outside the walled city would that be the best idea. We were also thinking going end of June next year.

Many Thanks

Any other advice would be really helpful

Geraldine

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: 2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

Hey again Geraldine..and my pleasure:-) I was there for a friend's Wedding and only stayed for 4 nights so can't really make many reccs with only 3 full days..and one of them the Wedding;-) Stayed in the Old Town at the Pucic Palace where most of the party were staying and loved the locale! I Although if I were returned for an elongated stay, would certainly prefer an apartment w/a coastal view;-) I can guarantee you won't fall short on wonderful cafes and restaurants..I spend 1 of the days on a nearby beach about 10 mins walk out of the Old Town..magnificent! I would love to return at some point and base for a while just taking in the atmosphere! Again, if you're looking to lay back and take it in..get to know the corner baker..or the market 'down the street' and 'live it' for a while, think it's a great plan;-) Am sure you'll get loads of great suggestions for day trips, etc..I know some in our gang went over to the isle directly across the City for the day..I opted to hang out at the beach;-) It's really down to your interests..style of travel, etc..for some, 4 days is enough..others won't get bored in a month..Keep enjoyin'!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,749 posts
561 reviews
7. Re: 2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

check out the simply angelic apts...what a view. and reviews of cafe buza...enjoy your time.

Central scoland
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
68 reviews
8. Re: 2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

Thanks ever so much Litsa,

you have been such a big help helping me make up my mind. Is it quite cheap for food and drink in dubrovmik. We just returned from krackow poland and found it to be very cheap there compared to rest of Europe. Will it be very hot late June and early July ?. I was in Turkey in the Middle of July this year and it was in the 50s it was unbearable. Im hoping it wont be that hot.

Huge Big Ta again

Geraldine

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
9. Re: 2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

Hi,

I would spend no more than a week in Dubrovnik. During that week be sure to make a trip to the Elafiti Islands and possibly spend a day in Montenegro if you're up for it. Two weeks should be spent doing maybe up to a week in Dubrovnik and another week on one of the islands, like Hvar, Korcula or Vis or the Makarska Riviera, the islands being more interesting for a first time visitor I think. You can check www.jadrolinija.hr for ferry connections from Dubrovnik to any of the islands. We did exactly this last year - the ferry trip from Dubrovnik to Hvar is a very pleasant 6 hours spent sailing past many gorgeous islands until you reach your destination (tickets include lunch). Stay at the Hotel Bellevue in Dubrovnik - it;s like a mini resort and only a 15 minute walk outside the old town. Gorgeous views, lovely beach and great service. This way you can combine culture and beach. If you are going to Hvar you will have to budget one day to come back to Dubrovnik to fly back home or you can take a hydrofoil from Hvar to Split (takes an hour) and fly back from there. Hope this helps

Edited: 08 November 2010, 06:54
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
10. Re: 2 weeks in Dubrovnik next summer is this to long

Hey again:-) Believe you'll find it about par..although I find the Polish zloty buys just a bit more than the kuna;-) Am sure you'll have fabulous weather in late June/early July..it's definitely Summertime! Had I had more time, fourglobetrotters here hit some of the spots I'd certainly want to take in..always wanted to visit Hvar and Korcula..not to mention Split..the couple honeymooned for an additional couple of weeks and followed similar itinerary..I was in Greece already where I usually spend the month of Sept and flew up for the 4 days for the Wedding;-) Sounds like you're pretty well-travelled and have a desired style in travel..think you'll really take to this place;-) Thanks for your kind words..always a pleasure..and always EnjoY!