We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I pack in for a day in Varna?

edinburgh
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What can I pack in for a day in Varna?

I appreciate this question has recently been asked, but here it is again. I'm in Varna for a conference but have (most of) a whole day before it starts and are keen to see as much of the city as possible. I'm more interested in museums / galleries / architecture than shopping but we rather be outdoor than in. I'd really welcome suggestions for an itinerary to fit in as much of the best we can in a morning and afternoon Is there an opportunity to hire a bike? All suggestions appreciated :-)

Mentioned in this post
Varna
Varna
Varna Province, Bulgaria
3 replies to this topic
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I pack in for a day in Varna?

The cathedral. 20 minutes

The sea gardens nice walk along the sea front with monuments to many people

The navel museum on the sea front not like it sounds

The Russian monument

The monastery not far from golden sands

Here and there in Varna centre you find bits of the Roman town

As you walk down through the centre towards the sea on the left is a old church

The buildings themselves in Varna are worth a look. A nice old building and they stick a new shop front on the ground level.

As you walk through the centre turn right at McDonald's head towards the sea front.

On the right as you go down is a little collectors shop lots of interesting things in there to see

And then there is the two shopping malls close together. A large cemetery between them I like to read headstones

I don't buy anything in the shopping malls but it's nice to get out of the sun in to air conditioned shops

I get lunch there in the cool before walking some more

Mentioned in this post
Varna
Varna
Varna Province, Bulgaria
Aberdeenshire...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I pack in for a day in Varna?

Hi sixcraigs,

Just to add to shannonshaq's comprehensive reply above, the Archaeological Museum in Varna is a must. You will easily lose 2 hours or more there and the display of the gold jewellery which was excavated locally in Varna necropolis is just outstanding, I never tire of returning there, it really is a great museum.

As for hiring bikes, I'm sorry I don't have any info but the various Roman therms, museums etc are all located in the city centre and are easily reached on foot.

Have fun, it's a great city.

Mentioned in this post
Varna
Varna
Varna Province, Bulgaria
edinburgh
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I pack in for a day in Varna?

Thank you both! Incredibly helpful.

Reply to: What can I pack in for a day in Varna?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Varna