We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

I travel peak season. I am looking for a budget hotel with a "pool" on the Mekong side. My budget is $50. to $65. I do not like far away for the city... quiet locations.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

You won't get anyhting near that price with a pool in peak season. You also have to remember that there are no pools in the main section of LP (not permitted/unesco). To get a pool you will have to stay well beyond walking distance from the old city at one of the higher end resorts, probably double your budget for that time of year.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

What hotel would be the closest to town that I could get for $98.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

Because it is high season you would have to research hotel section to try and get reasonable deal but the closest to the centre (walking, not direct line) would be about 1.5kms. Also bear in mind December is our coldest month. Jeans and light jumper etc. are the norm then. Hardly a time to go swimming. Forget about pool and stay at any one of the heaps of hotels and guesthouses in middle of town and have everything at your fingertips.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

I am sooo disappointed. I didn't realize it was that cold in Dec. Looks like I may be changing my plans. I can be cold in my own city. That kind of defeats the purpose of holidaying in Dec. I would never think of staying at a place with no pool (if there's no beach.)

The hotels are so freakin' expensive in Luang Prabang & apparently far away from the city. OUCH! Looks like I'll probably spend most of my time in Chiang Mai drinking in the sun & dipping in a pool.

Is Vientiane also cold in Dec? Hey! What temperature are we talking? I have lots I can do there but not if it's cold.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 12:27
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

HT, Chiang Mai is also cool in Dec. It is not cold. The mornings are cool and i usually wear a jumper until about 11 or 12. After that it warms up. I swim a bit in Nov - Dec, but only in the afternoons. Temp is about 23-24 C after lunch.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Destination Expert
for Luang Prabang
Level Contributor
463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

Maybe one for Rufuscat to answer re Vientiane. The days here in December are beautiful that it why it is high season. Sunny days with clear sky. Temperature is maybe lower 20's at that time. I can remember last year having to wear light winter clothing and I am not one who usually feels the cold to much. It was for about a 2 week period mid December.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

"The mornings are cool and i usually wear a jumper until about 11 or 12. After that it warms up. I swim a bit in Nov - Dec, but only in the afternoons. Temp is about 23-24 C after lunch."

This was meant as a description of Vientiane's weather, not CM. It could have been interpreted as CM, sorry.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

Thanks for all the helpful info. I really appreciate it. I find Chiang Mai mornings warm in the sunshine but cold in the shade. That's why it's important to find a pool in the sunshine. I know where all the guesthouses are with the pools in the sun. ^_^ Difinitely warm enough for me in the am... It's usually about 20 degrees at 9 to 9:30am. (Last January it was even warmer in the morning.) It does hold that temperature till about noon ish; than it slowly starts to increase. I've been tanning by the pool in Chiang Mai at 9:30 am for the past 6 years. I tan and dip for about 4 hours. It works well for me; than it frees up my afternoon for whatever. I tend to like that time slot where ever I go.

I love Chiang Mai - I'm trying to get out of the box and go to a different destination. ...I'm still trying. Ha-ha! I was hoping Luang Prabane and Vientiane would be warm enough to tan. I don't mind 20 degrees in the mornings. It's easier to tan at that temperature. That's tan-able.

Oh so it's warmer in Vientiane. GOOD!! Well, I have a place that checks my boxes in Vientiane. And I have a motorbike waiting there so it should be a fun enough time without LP. If the mornings are a bit too chilly I can shop at the morning market, take a cooking course, sight see... lots to do there. (And I hear the night market is better than Luang Prabang but some may disagree.)

I would hate to travel to LP and have it be too cold. I always travel in late Dec (Christmas) to get some vitamin D from the sun. That's an important part of my travel itinerary.

Edited: 11 August 2012, 09:45
9. Re: Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2012, 02:49
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel with Pool - Mekong Side; Luang Prabang

Suggest you take a look at My Dream Boutique Resort & Spa in LP. It has a small pool and the resort is very quiet, inexpensive and has a great staff.