We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-book tickets for slow boat ?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
Pre-book tickets for slow boat ?

Hi,

we want to travel by slow boat from Chiang Khong/Huay Xai to Luang Prabang at the beginning of November. Is it worth it/necessary to book your tickets in advance through an agent or can we just buy it a day prior to departure ( since we're spending the night in Chiang Khong anyway) ?

Is November a busy time for the slow boat trip ?

I was quoted 1250 Thai Baht for the boat.

Am a bit undecided, we're normally independent travellers/backpackers and sort out stuff ourselves, however... the day of departure happens to be my birthday and I wanted things to run a bit more smoothly, just don't fancy a Rugby scrum for boat and accomodation etc. for once ;-)

Any ideas or advice welcome !!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-book tickets for slow boat ?

We went on the nagi of mekong. Very pleasant with overnight accom in pakbeng included. No rugby scrum and very civilised. About $120 each but worth it.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-book tickets for slow boat ?

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

And sorry everyone , I only realised AFTER posting that I've accidentally put it on the Lunag Prabang forum... should have been the Huay Xai forum but after hours of browsing I got mixed up , d'oh ;-)

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-book tickets for slow boat ?

Certainly book for the Nagi of Mekong - a more luxurious option than the regular backpacker boats.

But - for the regular boat that leaves daily, no need to book in advance - get your ticket at Chiang Khong or Houayxai the night before. It is cheaper from Houayxai direct from the ticket office - if you buy in Chiang Khong you are paying for an agent.

November is the start of the dry season when more people are coming but not so busy you wont get a place on a boat. If there are more people, they out more boats on.

Edited: 14 August 2012, 15:49
west yorkshire
Level Contributor
453 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-book tickets for slow boat ?

We have been in Luang Prabang for 2 nights and got in from the slow boat which we booked from our hotel in Chiang Mai the day before we left.

The price of 1700 Thai baht included a mini bus from Chiang Mai, B&B in Chiang Khong and the 2 days on the boat.

The first day was pretty good, comfortable enough coach type seats and we had a table in between. However the 2nd day was not quite as comfy as everyone on the two boats of the first day were cramped on to one boat and some people didn't even have a seat - not ideal for an 8 hour journey - and much like the rugby scrum you want to avoid!

Luckily the weather all the way from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang was beautiful. I really enjoyed the journey but then I had a seat!

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
453 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-book tickets for slow boat ?

We have been in Luang Prabang for 2 nights and got in from the slow boat which we booked from our hotel in Chiang Mai the day before we left.

The price of 1700 Thai baht included a mini bus from Chiang Mai, B&B in Chiang Khong and the 2 days on the boat.

The first day was pretty good, comfortable enough coach type seats and we had a table in between. However the 2nd day was not quite as comfy as everyone on the two boats of the first day were cramped on to one boat and some people didn't even have a seat - not ideal for an 8 hour journey - and much like the rugby scrum you want to avoid!

Luckily the weather all the way from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang was beautiful. I really enjoyed the journey but then I had a seat!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
238 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-book tickets for slow boat ?

Did the Nagi tour in June, it was amazing. The lunch and visits to the little villages alone make it worth the extra money.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-book tickets for slow boat ?

Many thanks for all your input, it is very much appreciated !!

Very helpful, have a better idea now of what to expect :-)

8. Re: Pre-book tickets for slow boat ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 00:17