We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai 1st Timer. What have we done !

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai 1st Timer. What have we done !

Hi all,

Myself and my wife are reasonably seasoned travellers and have today booked to stay at the Grand Hyatt for 8 days in May 2019.

We’ve never been to this part of the World before and are so excited by; and looking forward to this upcoming trip.

The Hotel is just a couple of miles from the Airport in the Dubai Creek area....which I hope is ok as a base for all the normal tourist attractions.

Looking forward to learning more about the culture, the ‘must see’s’, getting around by public transport and everything that goes with a Dubai visit.

Happy Holidays folks.

Mentioned in this post
The World
The World
109 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai Creek
Dubai Creek
8,539 Reviews
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
6 replies to this topic
England, United...
Level Contributor
15,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai 1st Timer. What have we done !

Hello

We love the place and have holidayed there for many years.

Look towards the right hand side of this forum board to see the Top Questions About Dubai, for loads of useful and interesting information.

I’m sure you will have a great time.. we always do,

Regards

Mondial

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,139 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai 1st Timer. What have we done !

The Grand Hyatt is a lovely hotel and if you like sunbathing you’ll not be disappointed as it has the best pool area out of all the city hotels in Dubai

It’s a convenient location for getting about as it’s well situated between old and new Dubai

It’s about 10 minute walk to the metro at Healthcare City. The only downside is there really isn’t much around the immediate vicinity and whilst the hotel has a number of good restaurants they can be a bit soulless not to mention pricey so I’d be inclined to take a taxi and head out most evenings, taxis in Dubai are cheap and plentiful

It’s worth paying for a creek view room if you haven’t already as although the hotel is not right on the creek you’ll still have a decent view overlooking The creek park and creek

Edited: 11 June 2018, 04:31
Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai 1st Timer. What have we done !

Thankyou Mondial and hannahengland.

I'm so glad the Hotel is in a good location. That's pretty primary hey ! I did a little research....but will admit we booked while still being very 'green'. And my wife will love the pool area by the sounds of it. Fantastic !

I'm just starting to read the stickied notes; so i can start to take it all in and understand what we're letting ourselves in for !! We've done alot of Europe, a fair bit of the USA etc - but never the Middle East; so we're truly excited to be seeing a part of the World we've not visited before.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom :-)

Mentioned in this post
The World
The World
109 Reviews
DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
4,268 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai 1st Timer. What have we done !

Your visit might coincide with Ramadan which is expected to be from May 5 to June 4, 2019. You might want to do a bit of research on this so you are prepared for some of the restrictions associated with the holy month.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai 1st Timer. What have we done !

Top tip for Dubai is always to familiarise oneself with the map/layout, as it does catch people out.

Unlike most cities which develop organically and radially, Dubai is a linear city that's developed along one main super-highway. Driving between locations often is not as simple as A-B, due to service roads and loops. There's often sparse areas of underdeveloped or in-construction works around. It can take around an hour to travel between extremities, even in a taxi

Taxis are generally the best solution for public transport, underpinned by the awesome Metro.

Enjoy Dubai - you're sure to have a blast 💥

Edited: 11 June 2018, 13:24
Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Level Contributor
92 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai 1st Timer. What have we done !

You'll be in walking distance of the metro. Check out Wafi Mall, there are quite a few eating amd drinking places there as well.

Have fun!

Reply to: Dubai 1st Timer. What have we done !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;