We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop over in Dubai viable for 2 dads of a 5 year old?

5 posts
Save Topic
Stop over in Dubai viable for 2 dads of a 5 year old?

We are travelling to New Zealand to see family in January and as flying Emirates are planning to try break up the trip with a 2-3 days stop over. I heard Dubai is fairly relaxed UAE state, and Dubai seems ideal with large resort hotels and water parks, we would really only be based in the hotel complex by the pool or day trip out during day to water park. However obviously our concern is we a 2 gay men with a 5 year old, although we are discrete, there would be do doubt we are 2 men travelling with a child. He often likes to hold both our hands when we out etc as most children so with their parents. I guess I wondering if we are being unfair here expecting to receive fascistic treatment from people based on rumours and gossip people have started telling us who havnt even been there themselves.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 replies to this topic
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
47,523 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop over in Dubai viable for 2 dads of a 5 year old?

My son held hands with his uncle and dad on several occasions in Dubai.

We cannot give you advice or say ‘everything will be fine’ because we can’t know but any indication that you are a gay couple is not a road you want to go down in Dubai.

I know you will both be able to be discrete but can your 5 year old be discrete ?

If you decide to go then would you be able to be relaxed ?

It is a decision only you can make based on the knowledge that, however unfair, unjust or unenlightened the law may be in the UAE, your lifestyle is illegal according to the local law.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
418 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop over in Dubai viable for 2 dads of a 5 year old?

Hi Darran

The law states that gay relations are illegal however it is entirely up to you if you are prepared to take the risk.

5 yr old holding both of your hands and walking around an treating both of you as parents will not be an issue at all. As long as you both go around without showing any PDA there is no issues.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
12,405 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop over in Dubai viable for 2 dads of a 5 year old?

No issues in a 5 year old holding the hand of 2 males. However, you both should keep any PDA behind closed doors to stay away from any possible trouble.

Reply to: Stop over in Dubai viable for 2 dads of a 5 year old?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted