We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel to start honeymoon

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Hotel to start honeymoon

Hi

I was hoping to get some advice on the best hotel to pick to start our honeymoon in April 2019.

We will be staying for 5 nights before continuing on to the Maldives, so a beach location is not essential. However, we would like to have access to a nice pool and access to a beach would be a bonus.

In terms of location, we would like to be in an area with lots going on and plenty of options for places to eat. We love the look of the One&Only and Medinat Jumeirah resorts, however realistically they are going to push our trip over budget. With that in mind, we are strongly considering the following 2 hotels:

Grosvenor House

Kempinski Mall of Emirates

I know these are quite different in terms of location. Are there any opinions on which would be more suitable for a honeymoon - my concern is both more business traveller focussed hotels?

Are there any other hotels that people recommend we should consider that are well located and around the same price point as these?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
5,834 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Grosvenor House Dubai
Grosvenor House Dubai
5,091 Reviews
7 replies to this topic
Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel to start honeymoon

I'd go for Grosvenor House out of the two you mention.

First of all it's a far superior hotel and I much prefer the location. Whilst The Marina is a little further out it's a great vibrant location with an abundance of restaurants and bars close to hand.

You're only a taxi ride or hotel shuttle bus to the major malls and attractions. At GHH you have the added bonus of use of the sister beach hotel Le Royal Meridien which also has lovely pools and grounds.

There's nothing much around The Kempinski other than The mall itself.

If you want more of a city location then I'd look for a hotel around The Downtown area, there's an abundance of hotels.

Emirates Towers on Sheikh Zayed Rd gives you access to one of its sister beach resorts (it changes between Madinat hotel, Zabeel Saray and Jumeirah Beach hotel) and allows you access to wild wadi waterpark

If beach access isn't an issue then also look at The Conrad, Raffles, The Oberoi (although this is more Business Bay area than Downtown but is a fab hotel).

I'd also recommend Address Marina which is a close to a Mall and metro so handy for getting about.

There's no shortage of hotels of Dubai and it really comes down to budget and your personal preference.

Mentioned in this post
Grosvenor House Dubai
Grosvenor House Dubai
5,091 Reviews
Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa
Le Royal Meridien Beach...
6,778 Reviews
Emirates Towers
Emirates Towers
1,219 Reviews
Zabeel Park
Zabeel Park
359 Reviews
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
5,834 Reviews
Raffles Dubai
Raffles Dubai
3,897 Reviews
The Oberoi, Dubai
The Oberoi, Dubai
2,138 Reviews
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel to start honeymoon

As always, Hannah's tips are spot on.

What are your actual dates? Let's see if we can find you something special that fits your budget, maybe even a way to snag those you feel may be over ...

Edited: 13 June 2018, 20:38
UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel to start honeymoon

Thanks for the tips Hannah - I will take a look through those.

Looking at the dates again, it actually works out as 4 nights, 13-17 April. I don't know the exact budget we are working with for the Dubai leg of the trip, but I would imagine around £1.5k GBP for accommodation for 4 nights.

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel to start honeymoon

Bear in mind that for April next year, you're more likely to get a better price in a few months' time. Some hotels won't have released their inventory so early in the sales cycle.

There's always ways to find deals in Dubai hotels, to stay optimistic.

*You could book now a prepaid basis, and get a large percentage off the 'free cancellation' rate.

* You could book a cancellable rate, and use a price-drop site so when the price drops (and it's a fair chance ANY hotel price will drop between now and then) just rebook at the lower price.

* Wait until nearer the time, with wider inventory and more supply, so prices will be more competitive

* Take a block booking from a travel agent who would be looking to book up as fast as possible

* Wait until mega short notice and book. Riskiest, but often with the highest reward. There are ALWAYS deals to be had, but as it's for a honeymoon I guess this option wouldn't be much good for peace of mind.

Right now, to give you some ideas of what you could look for (prices include taxes and charges, but no tourism dirham) :-

£1,308 - Palace Downtown

£1,418 - Sofitel Dubai Palm Resort and Spa

£728 - Sofitel Downtown

£846 - Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach

£876 - Raffles Dubai

£564 - The H Dubai

£1,325 - Anantara The Palm

£1,666 - Four Seasons (over budget, but a tremendous price for a real top-end hotel)

£746 - Conrad Dubai

£686 - JW Marriott Marquis

£1,390 - Rixos Premium JBR

£1,188 - Palazzo Versace

£1,021 - Grosvenor House

£980 - Renaissance

£1043 - Intercontinental Festival City

£739 - Taj Dubai

£920 - Fairmont The Palm

£1049 - Jumeirah Etihad Towers

£1,403 - St Regis Dubai

£1,471 - W Dubai

You could probably get a half board deal for hotels such as Zabeel Saraay or Grosvenor House for your dates at less than £1,500 also.

If you're looking for a 'Wow' hotel for either an experience, or just romantic ambience, Palazzo Versace is one to write home about.

W Hotel is very funky and unique.

Grosvenor House is an excellent all-rounder and safe bet, plus it's a fab location (and it gives you access to Le Royal Meridien for beach/resort).

Business Bay and 'top of SZR' hotels tend to offer a bit more bling for your bucks, so if you looked at St Regis, W Dubai, Westin Dubai, JW Marriott Marquis, Rennaissance, Conrad, Sheraton Grand, The H what you sacrifice a little in location and surrounding area not having much going on, you make up in class and luxury and value.

I would discount Kempinski MOE - it's a great hotel, but apart from the ski slope and mall nearby, I don't put it on a level with GH (or many of the list above).

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Palace Downtown
Palace Downtown
3,080 Reviews
Dubai Palm Hotel
Dubai Palm Hotel
104 Reviews
Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach
Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah...
6,267 Reviews
Raffles Dubai
Raffles Dubai
3,897 Reviews
The H Dubai
The H Dubai
1,900 Reviews
Anantara The Palm Dubai Resort
Anantara The Palm Dubai...
5,317 Reviews
Conrad Dubai
Conrad Dubai
3,372 Reviews
JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai
JW Marriott Marquis...
7,611 Reviews
Rixos Premium Dubai
Rixos Premium Dubai
499 Reviews
Palazzo Versace Dubai
Palazzo Versace Dubai
616 Reviews
Grosvenor House Dubai
Grosvenor House Dubai
5,091 Reviews
InterContinental Dubai Festival City
InterContinental Dubai...
2,017 Reviews
Taj Dubai
Taj Dubai
1,940 Reviews
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
5,834 Reviews
The St. Regis Dubai
The St. Regis Dubai
450 Reviews
Zabeel Park
Zabeel Park
359 Reviews
Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa
Le Royal Meridien Beach...
6,778 Reviews
Sheraton Grand Hotel, Dubai
Sheraton Grand Hotel...
1,558 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel to start honeymoon

Might also be worth keeping your eye on :-

Nikki Beach - currently showing around £1,100

Armani - £1,720

One and Only (Royal Mirage - The Palace, and The Arabian Court) lowest could see at present is around £2,200 for your dates.

Mina A Salam - around £2,660

Al Qasr - around £2,700

So don't give up hope just yet 👍

Mentioned in this post
Nikki Beach Resort & Spa Dubai
Nikki Beach Resort & Spa...
491 Reviews
Armani Hotel Dubai
Armani Hotel Dubai
2,186 Reviews
Arabian Court at One&Only Royal Mirage Dubai
Arabian Court at...
1,179 Reviews
Jumeirah Al Qasr at Madinat Jumeirah
Jumeirah Al Qasr at...
3,637 Reviews
UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel to start honeymoon

Thanks very much Shaun - incredibly helpful!

I'll work my way through these and draw up another (longer!) shortlist for the fiancé to look through!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel to start honeymoon

No worries Ryan - it's usually a big help to winnow down the list of hotels, usually by a few key factors.

Location usually is the most common - as Dubai can be quite strung out - and it helps to work out the % of time you're likely to actually be in the hotel. Some hotels - such as the Palm ones, Palazzo Versace, JW Marriott Marquis etc. you could quite easily never venture outside of.

Beach is another easier 'breakwater' - beach access, private beach, or walk to a beach soon narrows down the options.

Once you've a short (or longer) list, feel free to ask for help again. Say for example, you decide you really fancy of the Jumeirah ones, that right now are over budget, then it could be the case it's possible to book direct through one of the their loyalty programs or promotions which may bring the price down even more. I know the SPG hotels (St Regis, Sheraton, Westin, W etc.) often offer 30% or more discount for pre-paid or on direct bookings through an offer like their Book three nights, pay for two with Mastercard deals. Likewise, it's easier to do a Price Match when you choose a hotel with a loyalty program.

Jumeirah Hotels are often good value when booked through offers, rather than direct or through OTAs, as these sometimes work out cheaper to get a bigger discount of their Best Available Rate.

Don't forget the Entertainer Free Nights allows 1, 2 or 3 free nights too - so perhaps book two nights, get two free?

https:/…92546815

Sadly, it does take a little time, but it always pays off. Enjoy!

Edited: 13 June 2018, 21:55
Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Palazzo Versace Dubai
Palazzo Versace Dubai
616 Reviews
JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai
JW Marriott Marquis...
7,611 Reviews