We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Dubai

Loch Lomond and The...
Level Contributor
133 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Dubai

Hello forum, after numerous transit flights we have decided to do a short stopover en route to Asia.

We arrive early morning on 19th September and leave late night on the 21st. Will the heat still be intense?

I'm researching things to do and it's proving challenging deciding what to do and where to stay.

Firstly we'd like to see the Burj Khalifa, possibly the Dubai Museum and besides that we're pretty stumped. Friends have said I must do a mall but shopping on holiday is not for me. We like history & culture, not so much into water parks etc. We're not entirely convinced Dubai is our kind of destination but it was my suggestion so I'm trying to make it worthwhile.

We like the beach to chill late afternoon so I'm thinking either Jumeriah area or the walk. Are they one and the same? Are they remote or pretty central or not too far to explore a little? Any other suggestions I'll take on board. I'm checking prices and considering a late booking as prices seem to be cheaper the later we leave it. Sofitel, Hilton, Westin & Mina Seyahi seem to fit our brief if we choose the areas I mentioned.

Also we'd like to do a nice brunch and did consider afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab but the price I'm seein online is £231 per head so I've knocked that one on the head!

Apologies for so many questions and many thanks in advance for any advice & recommendations.

Leanne

12 replies to this topic
DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Dubai

The weather will still be hot mid September, it actually starts improving by the day from October. That said, you could still enjoy your stopover.

You might want to decide after you get here how much time you want to spend on the beach. Early am or late afternoon would be more advisable than midday under the scorching sun. In all honesty, a chilled pool will be more refreshing than the beach in September, but you will get to decide for yourself.

Since you mentioned history and culture, I would recommend connecting with Sheikh Mohamed Center for Cultural understanding (SMCCU). They do a variety of activities including cultural meals. It's a great way to learn about the history and culture of the UAE and meet Emiratis. A visit to old Dubai and the Creek area is a must, which you could combine with SMCCU.

http://www.cultures.ae/

Finally, I would consider doing a desert safari while you are here.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,153 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Dubai

With a short stopover and the things you want to see and do I think you are looking at the wrong end of town.

Jumeirah Beach is 50 miles long and is split into areas; Jumeirah Beach Walk (or sometimes called JBR) is just one part of it.

This is a map of Dubai - It's not to scale and distances are much further than they appear. Dubai is long and thin because of the way it has developed with the older and more traditional areas around the creek and the newer more westernised areas at the other end of the city.

https:/…Dubai_Map_December_2017.pdf

The hotels you mention above are all at the top right of the map between blue flag 23 and blue flag 20. They are all nice hotels, however, Sofitel does not have it's own beach. The travelling time between those hotels and the older more traditional areas of town is between 30 and 40 minutes in a taxi. It is also furthest from the airport

As you have such a short time I'd be inclined to forego the late afternoon chill out on the beach for a late afternoon chill out by a great pool in a part of the city that will give you easier access to the things you want to see and do.

I'd look at

Grand Hyatt

Park Hyatt

Raffles

Hilton Dubai Creek

and similar hotels in that general area.

I'm not sure where you are seeing afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab for £231 per person because it isn't it's around £150 for a window seat, less if you don't have a window seat view - are you perhaps looking to book it through an agent as part of a tour ? There is no need to do that as you just book direct on the BAA website.

You may want to consider afternoon tea at At.Mosphere instead, which is the restaurant inside Burj Khalifa and then you can kill two birds with one stone and won't have to do both BAA and Burj Khalifa.

There is plenty of history and culture in Dubai and you could happily spend 2 or 3 days in more traditional areas where there is plenty to see, for example

Al Seef area

http://www.alseef.ae/

Al Fahidi - Dubai museum

Bastakaya - for art galleries and other museums

The textile souk in Bur Dubai

Cross the creek by abra to see the Dhow wharfage and also visit the heritage sites in Deira and the spice and gold souk.

Sheikh Mohamed Centre for Cultural Understanding for breakfast, lunch dinner and guided walk through the old town

http://www.cultures.ae/

I would also look to do an evening tour with Frying Pan Food Adventures so look at their schedule to see what they are offering when you are in Dubai.

https://www.fryingpanadventures.com/

Bear in mind that many of the cultural sites and shops in the souks are closed until 4pm on Fridays so fit them in earlier in your stay.

At this end of town there is also a public beach called La Mer or a beach club if you want to get your fix of late afternoon sun, however, as I've said above if you really want to see more of the cultural side of Dubai Jumeirah Beach walk is not the place to stay.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Dubai

I really like doing the Old Town at dusk - crossing the Creek with the call to prayer is very atmospheric and a little than cooler than during the day.

I also like Satwa area (great for a shave and some cheap eats) - its where lots of the workers live so feels like real life - the opposite feel to Dubai Mall!

Loch Lomond and The...
Level Contributor
133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Dubai

Thanks so much for your detailed replies. Lots of excellent information & recommendations to ponder. Looks like I will definitely rethink the area we will base ourselves for a short visit.

Cheers everyone

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Dubai

My first tip for Dubai is always to carefully consider where you base yourself, compared to your itinerary.

Dubai is spread out in a linear fashion, often with sporadic development between each neighbourhood, so it can be a major time/money suck to scuttle about on Metro/taxis or other transport if you don't need to. For example, you could easily lose half an hour or more travelling between Marina and Downtown.

As your time is at a premium, I'd suggest you change your potential location of hotels and look either around Downtown, Creek, Festival City, Business Bay/Al Habtoor City, or top of Sheikh Zayed Road. The latter two tend to offer more hotel for your money, whilst Downtown is closest to Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa so is generally more expensive.

It's easy enough to get a taxi to/from the beach.

Edited: 18 June 2018, 20:01
Loch Lomond and The...
Level Contributor
133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Dubai

Thanks again good people of this forum. A wealth of information for me to go on.

I've looked at all 3 hotels suggested and they are in the running. The Grand Hyatt pool area looks good for a city but what concerns me is lots of families and noise. As a couple we prefer quiet. No offence as we are parents too but ours are grown and we like a tranquil pool.

Ive also looked through the different areas suggested by Shaun. To add another couple into the mix are The Oberoi & Shangri la hotels well located too? I'm familiar with the Shang brand and always enjoy. Or should I forego them both?

Many thanks

Leanne

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,153 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Dubai

The Grand Hyatt pool area and grounds is the largest in the city by a long way with several pools and there are two pools specially for children, one with water slides etc, so they tend to be the area where most families with children head. The largest pool is quite deep and so tends to be the area where adults spend their time.

Oberoi and Shangri La are good choices too - very central, although without the huge space offered by Grand Hyatt

Loch Lomond and The...
Level Contributor
133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Dubai

Excellent information once again Latimer. Thank you so much for taking time to answer my queries. No doubt it won't be the last!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Dubai

Also what may be worth considering - and it's far more realistic than one may think (after shopping around) - Palazzo Versace.

Amazing plush hotel and certainly worth it for the experience, and it's more of a couples hotel than a family hotel.

Of course, it's meant to be big money but given the economic climate in Dubai, it's another hotel that's had to to temper its prices to bring custom. Spend a little time looking around different sites and options and you may snag a bargain there - I was astounded to see a week deal there for less than the cost of some 4 stars for example.

IF you're a Hyatt fan but don't fancy the Grand, what about the Park Hyatt on the other side of the Creek?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Dubai

hello!

While Dubai is home to many advanced structures, there are still some parts we're history is preserved. (Google Old Dubai) you'll be surprised with museums scattered that are open to the public.

On the day that you will go to Dubai Museum, please include riding an Abra(a wooden boat to use as a ferry) to cross the Creek headed to Spice/Gold Souq, lunch/ dinner at the Local House (Eat Camel Meat and quench your thirst with Dates Camel Milkshake).

At Al ghubaiba Area, you will also see the Sheikh's Old house and many more. It's best to travel on foot while you are in Old Dubai.

A visit to Dubai is nothing if you have not seen The Burj Khalifa and Burj Al Arab. so please make sure that this is a sure-go on your list.

For the Beach, Jumeirah is a good choice. But also try the Al Mamzar Family Beach Park (not the public beach). Entrance is 5AED each. Shelters are provided where you and your family can comfortably lounge.

Enjoy!

Reply to: 3 days in Dubai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted