We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pain killers

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Topic
pain killers

I have read that it is illegal to bring in medication that contains Codeine, correct me if I am wrong.

We will be stopping over in Dubai for 3 nights in July on our way to the UK and I am concerned that I will not have the benefit of my usual "over the counter" tablets which contain Paracetamol 500mg, Codeine Phospate 10mg, Doxylamine Succinate 5.1mg.

What do you residents and regular travellers to Dubai do for pain relief/calmative medication that is not Dr. prescribed?

Many thanks.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: pain killers

Get your local doctor to prescribe them on a prescription, make sure you bring the prescription with you. I'm not a chemist so I don't understand what the authorities have against codeine but it's worth noting that many other drugs that require prescriptions elsewhere in the world can be bought over the counter here (antibiotics, etc.). Yet it's only been in recent years that we've been able to purchase innocuous flu remedies such as Lemsip. I never take painkillers but friends of mine swallow vast quantities of Brufen, which I believe (tho' stand corrected) is not easily obtained in the UK yet can be bought freely here. Many UK based Brits I know leave Dubai with huge stocks of this and it's something people in England sometimes ask me to bring.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: pain killers

Thanks Lizziejumierah, I will take your advice and get a prescription for them.

I posted a question on UK forum about availability there of similar medication and now know that I can buy similar at London Heathrow chemist, so I only have to have to cover myself for the 3 days in Dubai.

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
881 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pain killers

anything with codeine in it, will need a prescription and an accompanying letter from your dr. codeine levels below 30mgs (even in co-codamol tablets) are on the restricted drugs list, those over 30mgs are not allowed at all, even with prescription and letter.

codeine useage is monitored in the uae because its an opiate.

Chances are you wont get stopped and wont need the letter etc, but best to play it safe

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: pain killers

thanks air837 for your advice. As I dont want to spend time in a dubai prison cell I will most certainly get the medication on prescripton and bring letter from my doctor

regards

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
881 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pain killers

No probs! Had to research it all before i went out as i'm on 60mg codeine tablets! meant a change in meds for the duration of trip, but far safer than risking it!

6. Re: pain killers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 06:17