We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency used in Dubai

uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Currency used in Dubai

Hi was reading alot of the comments on dubai and noted that their are loads of people with experience travling there.

I am taking my wife to the atlantis for our 1st anniversery in middle of june and want to know a few things.

The best place i could take her out for an anniversary dinner.

What currency is used. is it dirams as normal or US dollars like the maldives.

And also the average costs for extra activitis like dune buggies and scuba diving.

Thank you very much for your input in advance.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
1. Re: Currency used in Dubai

Hi Mish2012

Dirhams is the currency if you have a look at www.explorertours.ae and www.bluebananaarabia.com it will give you a idea on costs for things to do. What sort of food do you like and how much are you looking at spending for your anniversary dinner.

karl

uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Currency used in Dubai

Looking to spend about £150 for the anniversary.

Have already spent 1400 on the hotel and flights B&B. so looking to spend about another £1000 for food, shopping and extra activities. Is that sufficient or am i being stupid.

Heard the hotel food is very expensive....

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
3. Re: Currency used in Dubai

£150 will get you a lovely meal for your Anniversary. Theres loads of resturants to choose from. It really depends on what type of meal you want.

The Al Qasr hotel does a friday brunch which is around £90 (depending on the currency exchange), theres loads of variety of foods and it includes free flowing drinks and champayne.

If you tell whichever resturant you end up going to that you are celebrating your anniversary they always make it that extra special, bringing a cake or something out.

£1000 is a perfect amount to take with you. It all depends on the activites you want to do.. To be honest the meals are only normally really expensive when you have alchohol.. it normally bumps the price up a fair bit.

One activity that my wife and I enjoyed was the desert safari with bbq dinner. It was about £55 per person and includes 4x4 dune bashing, arabian entertainment and food and drinks.. its a really good night out!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
4. Re: Currency used in Dubai

just to add, friday brunch might not be the most romantic option for an anniversary meal but would definately be something to think of for another day out.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,745 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Currency used in Dubai

You really will be spoiled for choice for an anniversary dinner as there are almost as many fine dining places in Dubai as you would find in London, New York, Paris etc

Fine dining has a price though, just as it has anywhere, so tell us what would make the experience for you.

A view or happy to look at each other ?

The architecture of where you are eating - cool and tendy, warm and cosy, romantic and unrushed ?

The food style as in country of origin (chinese, mexican, morocan, indian, italian, mediteranean for example)?

The cuisine style - nouvelle or portions so big you can't see the plate ?

uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Currency used in Dubai

Looking for some place i woudnt find anyware else for the anniversery dinner... thinking of the burj dubai underwater restaurent but heard it wasnt really underwater... type of the meal really doesnt matter as we both enjoy a good meal..

any sugestions as to some exquisite places with some nice views...

Thanks guys for the links and ideas...

Here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,745 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Currency used in Dubai

That's right it isn't underwater but there is a floor to ceiling fish tank in the middle and the tables are placed next to that - cost wise you'd be lucky to get away with paying less than £300 for a meal ex drinks and the food ain't all that either.

If you want to eat in the Burj then their buffet restaurants are better value for money at around £90 per head ex drinks. There's Junsui which is Asian, Bab Al Yam, which is poolside and fusion style and then there's Al Iwan, which is on the mezzanine level and is everything you can think of food wise. There's no view to speak of from Al Iwan but as it's a special occasion you could ask to be seated in one of the couchettes by the lobby - very good for people watching and seeing the indoor fountains.

You really are spolied for choice outside the Burj could look at Time Out Dubai restaurants section to see what takes your fancy. They have restaurant awards that they give out every year and in their most romantic section Pai Thai at the Al Qasr, Pisces at the Madinat Soukh, Tagine at the One & Only hotel, Eau Zone at the same hotel all usually get a mention.

www.timeoutdubai.com/restaurants/awards/6888

Be advised that in June it is unlikely that you'll be eating outside so may want to go for somewhere inside with fab views - in whcih case then the Observatory restaurant at the Harbour Residence and spa at the Marina would get my vote.

emirateshotelsresorts.com/the-harbour/…

or one of the restaurants at The Address hotel followed by Neos bar at the same hotel.

From the Address you can see the tallest building in the world and the biggest fountain in the world. The fountains are accompanied by a light and music show so maybe worth a look.

http://www.theaddress.com/en/section/dining

Here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,745 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Currency used in Dubai

Oh and I've chosen places that are relatively close (within a 15 minute taxi ride) to the Atlantis so you won't be chasing all over town.

The furthest from you is the Address at about 25 mins. You can't miss Burj Dubai and you'll see it on your way to the Atlantis hotel so when you get there you'll be able to gauge how far away it is from you and whether you want to make that trip.

uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Currency used in Dubai

Hi guys sorry to trouble you with questions but as mentioned with activites to do in dubai there were 2 website given do i need to book them before i travel or can i just book them once i am there?? Getting pretty excited as the days get closer....

uk
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Currency used in Dubai

Hi Guys,

Thanks a bunch for all your advise i enjoed it very much.. the dune bashing belly dancing , water parks , and 7 course meals. Appreciate all your suggestion which made it easy for me.

Thanks once again i had a superb time...