We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary during Carnaval 2017

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
194 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary during Carnaval 2017

Hi Bolivian experts... we two retired men are just beginning to plan our month's visit to Bolivia in February 2017.. We are experienced travellers and look forward to many wonderful opportunities. We are exploring many ideas, but celebrating Carnaval with los gentes is a primary desire, so want to be in Oruro and La Paz at that time. If Oruro's Carnaval from Feb 18 to 28 (as noted), which 3 days do you recommend? In La Paz, the notice is from Feb 25 to 28. Do you think we best stay in Oruro for the early days, then finish in La Paz the last 3 days? Do you also have recommendations for hospedajes or homestays in Oruro? We like to stay in modest accommodations in quiet central areas. Thanks for any responses you have.

Also, we do not drive but like to use trains or combo of trains/buses, Is the train website up to date and useful? My initial thought is to train (or bus) from La Paz to either Sucre or Potosi as hubs to visit Salar de Uyuni and central area for first 2 weeks. Then head back to Oruro and La Paz for Carnaval the last 2 weeks of February.

Any insights you have will be appreciated. Gracias por su ayuda!

Mentioned in this post
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
La Paz
La Paz
La Paz Department, Bolivia
Sucre
Sucre
Chuquisaca Department, Bolivia
2 replies to this topic
Bolivia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary during Carnaval 2017

Hi Ron8317, I'm not an expert on Bolivia but I have sampled a few places. I can't comment on carnival, but Oruro certainly has it's fair share of fiesta's all year round. Hospedaje's, I think they call Alojamiento, are plentiful in Oruro, however I understand that during carnival they are all booked out. Around the main bus terminal there are many hotels and Alojamiento's, and it is close to where the carnival starts it journey. I also heard from the locals in Oruro that everything is for rent during carnival as there is such a shortage of accomodations that people rent out there rooms. I have not seen a train in Lapaz as it is in a deep valley, so you will have to bus out of La Paz, there is a ferro carril that will take you up to El Alto, but I don't think there is a passenger train there either. Oruro and Uyuni have train stations and you can ride between the two. The train station has the times of departures and arrivals posted on the entrance hall, I can't comment on the accuracy of the website. All the best on your journey.

Mentioned in this post
Bolivia
Bolivia
South America
La Paz
La Paz
La Paz Department, Bolivia
Uyuni
Uyuni
Potosi Department, Bolivia
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
194 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary during Carnaval 2017

Thank you very much, Cact88. I will use your information. It was thoughtful of you to advise me.

Reply to: Itinerary during Carnaval 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sucre