We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

Hi, Qingdao forum!

In a couple of weeks we will arrive in Qingdao from the ferry from South Korea.

The website of the Weidong Ferry tells me that we will arrive around 9 o'clock in the morning.

There will be some procedures at the ferry terminal (customs) and than we will travel to the train station of Qingdao to catch a train to Beijing.

1. Can we buy the train tickets at the Qingdao train station at the day itself or are the tickets Qingdao - Beijing likely to sell out a couple of days before?

2. If we need to pre-book, how long should we take for arrival procedures by boat, customs, traveling time to the train station (taxi?), collecting pre-booked train ticket etc.

Will the 12.13 train be to early or is it better to choose the 13.27 train?

Kind regards!

Mentioned in this post
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

1. Very likely to all be all sold out. Popular route. Much better to book a week in advance at least,

2. I don't know about this.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,500 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

Normally three hours should be enough but why stress yourself, take the second one. Same principle applies on when to buy tickets. Book as soon as possible, it's not like you will change your plans so why wait.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

Qupnicely and Jean-Pierre D thank you for your quick replies!

We will prebook the second train :-)

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
934 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

I don't know when you will arrive in QD, but please consider that the summer vacation is going to be finished, so many students needs to go to school by train in this month. I think maybe it will be difficult to buy train tickets.

Take a taxi to the train station is not very far from the ferry, you could still have time to see the seaside of Qingdao, although the Zhanqiao Pier is crashed. :(

I guess 13:27 is G196 to Beijing South(18:09). If you can't speak Mandarin, this will help you.

我想买去北京的G196次的车票,(Number)张,谢谢!

I want to buy the tickets to Beijing(G196),(Number) tickets. Thanks.

Print it and fill the number, show it when you buy tickets...

Mentioned in this post
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
Zhanqiao Pier
Zhanqiao Pier
785 Reviews
Qingdao, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

Tough order to get tickets at the last minute. It's also the Qingdao Beer Festival time (Aug 10-25) and lots of extra people coming and going by train at all times. The D trains, 2nd class sell out especially fast since they are cheaper than the G trains. Right now a cursory inspection of the official train site shows that things for two weeks into the future are quite available, so if you use an agent and prebook, you'll get something. Try China DIY travel which can send you an e-confirmation which you can use to pick up your tickets at the Qingdao station. Their commission per ticket is one of the cheapest around.

http://www.china-diy-travel.com/

As far as time to allow, I would err on the side of caution and go for the G196 train at 13:27 as mentioned above. This gives you a time cushion for the unexpected (late arrival, slow Customs, traffic to train station. You'll also want to allow for a decent lunch somewhere and NOT on the train. The G194 dep 12:13 gets to Beijing about 1 hour 20 minutes ahead of the G196, still too late to do any real sightseeing in Beijing.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 10:38
Mentioned in this post
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

Qingdao_aborigines and kvchina, thank you for your valuable information.

We will arrive in september so hopefully the crowds of the beer festival will be gone and the students back in school. I have contacted the China DIY travel for price information and will prebook the train tickets (we have only 3 days in Beijing don't want to miss that)

Some other questions:

1. Are taxi easily available from the weidong ferry terminal? (and what is an estimate price for the trip from the ferry terminal to the train station?)

2. I searched on google maps for restaurants around the train station. Unfortunately it gave only a mc donalds and a supermarket. Is it possible to have a decent lunch at the train station or in the surrounding of the train station?

Mentioned in this post
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
China DIY Travel
China DIY Travel
463 Reviews
Beijing, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

i'm sorry Nring, but in your original post you said you'd be arriving "in a couple of weeks". Couple = two. Now per latest post it's September? You might have a better chance of getting last minute tickets at that time compared to August, especially if not on a weekend. But maybe still better to pay a service fee and do the sure bet of prebooking.

I'll let the locals answer the taxi questions. There are some places to eat within a 10 minute walk of the station. Try this site ditu.google.com which is usually a bit more informative and accurate than the regular google maps. It accepts English/pinyin or Chinese characters. Enter "qingdao railway station" and then pan around the map.

Mentioned in this post
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
934 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

Maybe RMB 15-20 for taxi, but I haven't been there long time...

Usually I don't eat around the station. There are some small restaurants of seafoods, also there is sushi restaurants, or Chinese food. You can try Zhanqiao Prince hotel(walk along the seaside to the east, this hotel is on your left after you pass Zhanqiao Pier), not far from train station, it has buffet…

Mentioned in this post
Zhanqiao Pier
Zhanqiao Pier
785 Reviews
Qingdao, China
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

I had just returned from Qingdao 2 days ago. Few things to take note (My experinces).

1. Qingdao train sttaion has automated tickets machine and they DON'T ACCEPT passports, foreigners with passport have to queue in counter 1. Minimum 30 mins of queuing is expected. You gotta guard your queue as jump queuing is almost a culture.

2. Doubt the ticket seller over the counter can speak English so better to prepare especially it's chaotic, in fact very chaotic, its summer break till 31st Aug.

3. Nothing much to eat 10 mins radius of station, expect KFC,Mc and some local fast tfood as well as small local eatries.

Mentioned in this post
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Qingdao to Beijing after ferry arrival

Thank you all for your kind replies!

Will write my experiences after I return from my trip. :-)