We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go next..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Where to go next..

Me and my partner are in Atlantic City right now and are arriving in Philadelphia on Friday for two and a half days before heading to Washington DC for one day and a half.

However before arriving at Philadelphia we have nothing planned from tomorrow. So from Wednesday 6th June to Friday 8th June we have no plans.

We definitely want to leave Atlantic City and the Jersey Coast.

We were initially going to go to Ocean City but we've decided against it which has given us the free time.

We were thinking to go pull Philadelphia forward one day and give it it an extra day but were thinking giving it two days extra to what is originally planned is too much. We also don't want to give DC an extra day.

Are there any other cities, towns that are worth even a day trip with a days worth of travel by bus or train that also allow us to get back to Philadelphia by Friday.

I'm happy to get a coach from the Atlantic City bus station or the train if anyone knows any great places to visit from Atlantic City.

I'm posting this in both the Philadelphia and Atlantic City forums.

Thank you in advance.

5 replies to this topic
port republic
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Where to go next..

I would say Cape May, but if you want to leave the coast, consider New Hope.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
119 reviews
2. Re: Where to go next..

Unless you want to rent a car, you are pretty limited. Take a look at Princeton, NJ. it make for a nice day trip and if there is something going on at McCarter Theater you could spend the night,

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g46756-P…

You can get there by train, from Atlantic City to Philadelphia and then onto Princeton Jct. which has a shuttle train (called the dinky) to Princeton.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
317 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Where to go next..

I was also going to suggest Cape May. Even though you are still on the shore, it is completely different from what you've seen.

Then I also agree with New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ. Very quaint towns along the Delaware River. There are old canal paths to ride bikes, rafting along the river, walking around shops, great food, safe lodging.

Philadelphia has a lot to offer. Heading west of the city, you can head to Lancaster County, farm country with a large Amish population. Again, very different from what you've been experiencing.

Safe travels!

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Where to go next..

I agree with what has been suggested - Cape May even though its on the coast it is a quaint coastal town...or Lancaster County - yes, you go past Philly but its such a fascinating place...I could be there a week and still have things to see..

New Jersey
Level Contributor
106 posts
359 reviews
5. Re: Where to go next..

A lot to see in Philadelphia. USS Jersey on the Camden, NJ side if ships interest you. OR visit Princeton, New Jersey which is a GREAT college town. One of the most beautiful campi in the world and lovely town directly across the street. Get a student led tour - Orange Key - or there is a tour company on Nassau Street across from university. Plenty of places to eat. Seniors just graduated, so somewhat less hectic. This is a great destination and easily worth a full day. Art Museum is great, but start with the tour.

Reply to: Where to go next..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted