We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rijeka/Opatija auto rental

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rijeka/Opatija auto rental

I will be arriving in Rijeika on a ferry at 7 a.m. on a Thursday. I want to rent a car for several days to drive around Istria, and finish by driving back to Zagreb. So far, I have found few options that allow pickup in Rijeka downtown, and none that offer that and allow for drop-off in town in Zagreb.

It looks like my choices are to pick up in Opatija or Rijeka airport. Which is more hassle to get to from the Rijeka ferry terminal? I'll have a largish suitcase with me (2 week trip). Will taking that on the local bus to Opatija be a problem?

For a number of reasons I'd rather not drop the car at the Zagreb airport, but am interested if anyone thinks that is less trouble that travelling locally in Rijeka to pick it up in the first place.

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Rijeka
Rijeka
Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, Croatia
Opatija
Opatija
Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rijeka/Opatija auto rental

Rule out Rijeka airport.Cammeo Taxi Co. takes you to Opatija for $12.5.City bus is $2.5 but not worth a hassle with that casket you travel with.

Mentioned in this post
Rijeka
Rijeka
Opatija
Opatija
San Antonio, Tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rijeka/Opatija auto rental

It's definately easier to pick up a rental in Opatija than at the Rijeka airport which is on the island of Krk. Opatija is a 30 min bus ride from Rijeka (plus time to get to bus stop). If I were you I would take a cab to Opatija (15 min cab ride or so).

There used to be a Hertz rental car office near Hotel Bonavia. Is it not there anymore? I think I reserved it via Ryanair several years back.

Mentioned in this post
Opatija
Opatija
Rijeka
Rijeka
Krk Island
Krk Island
Kvarner Bay Islands, Croatia
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rijeka/Opatija auto rental

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Hertz is there, I don't know why my prior research didn't turn them up. But they're a bit more expensive that other companies I've found, so the taxi to Opatija may be worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Opatija
Opatija
Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rijeka/Opatija auto rental

You can search direct by (global/local) car hire company or through the 3rd party bulk buyers.You will end up by same (global/local) folks but paying less.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rijeka/Opatija auto rental

Not sure how close to the ferry you'll be able to get a taxi, you may need to phone them. In roaming, that can add to the price. Of course, taxi is comfortable and will take you directly to desired destination. So, if you don't mind the price and don't want to waste any time, go for it.

However, the main city bus terminal in Rijeka is very close to the port and bus #32 takes you to Opatija. It's kind of an express line, skipping many of the stops. Depending on the day and time, you could be in Opatija in 20 min. But #32 only runs at no less than 20 min intervals and it could be even worse.

Mentioned in this post
Rijeka
Rijeka
Opatija
Opatija
Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rijeka/Opatija auto rental

Taxi drivers wait in ambush for ferry passengers.

Ferry dock shifted +500m away/across the old pier.

#32 is local,frequent stop line.Inter City bus (to Labin,Pula) is express one.

Mentioned in this post
Pula
Pula
Istria, Croatia
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rijeka/Opatija auto rental

Well, I was comparing #32 to other city buses on the route like #1 which takes almost as much time to reach Bivio as #32 to reach Opatija. Hense the "kind of an express line".

The taxi ambush was to be expected, I guess. :) Still, good to know about the ferry shift. Does it dock at the new passenger terminal now? I might need it this summer.

Mentioned in this post
Opatija
Opatija
8. Re: Rijeka/Opatija auto rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 13:16