We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay Couple in Hurghada

Manchester, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Gay Couple in Hurghada

Hi all,

Just after a bit of advice. My partner and I will be in Hurghada next month. We were planning on being as respectful as possible (twin room, avoiding all public displays of affection and saying we are just friends if asked), but does anyone have any further advice? Thomas Cook said it would be fine when we booked, but some news reports coming out of Egypt lately seem to suggest it is becoming less tolerant?

Thanks in advance!

13 replies to this topic
Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
729 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay Couple in Hurghada

You will be absolutely fine, and you will definitely NOT be the only 'gays in the village' :-). Have a great holiday.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay Couple in Hurghada

Hey mattodanno

I just returned from premier le Reve with my g/f and we talked to two different gay couples, they had the same initial concerns travelling to a Muslim country as you, but they seem to be having a great time.

As you have stated, just be respectful and you'll be fine.

Have a fantastic holiday ☀

cumbria
Level Contributor
607 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay Couple in Hurghada

Just don't flaunt it in public and you will be fine, enjoy.

Jude

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
610 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay Couple in Hurghada

Lots of issues with local gay people but so long as your aware and respectful you should be fine

London
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay Couple in Hurghada

Matt, can only agree with ALL the above posts...

Follow your own advice and you will both be absolutely fine mate.

Enjoy your holiday and tell everyone in Canal Street (Is that the place still?) that Egypt is not a homophobic country towards tourists.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay Couple in Hurghada

We are visiting in December really looking forward to it I'm sure there will be no problem at all when are you going?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay Couple in Hurghada

Went over in Feb with my girlfriend and am going back tomorrow with gay make friends. Culturally nobody can be affectionate unless they are married. We had no problems on the resort (serenity beach) or on organised trips like snorkelling to giftun island as we were other brits however when we went to hurghada marina in the evening with one of the English staff we were not "out on her advice. I wouldn't worry as you will have a great time and it'll be too hot to hold hands anyway!

Dokka, Norway
Level Contributor
187 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay Couple in Hurghada

maybe its time to reconsider?

"CAIRO (Reuters) - An Egyptian lawmaker is introducing a draft bill that would imprison those engaging in or promoting same-sex relations, a copy of the draft seen by Reuters on Thursday showed.

Amnesty International said the bill is “another nail in the coffin for sexual rights in Egypt” and should be scrapped."

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay Couple in Hurghada

I have been Egypt a few times and I have never once heard any homophobic chatter of a anyone so an sure you will be fine pal enjoy

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,683 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gay Couple in Hurghada

“...never once...”

Then again:

“A total of 33 people have been arrested in Egypt as part of a massive new crackdown on perceived homosexuality, following the raising of a gay pride flag at a music concert in Cairo.” (The Independent, 3 Oct.)

“Egypt’s media, which is dominated by conservative, pro-government channels, reacted with fury to photos circulating online of the rainbow flags waving above the crowd. “Homosexuality is a crime that’s as terrible as terrorism,” proclaimed a prime-time TV host, Ahmed Moussa.” (The Guardian, 8 Oct.)

Tourists of course will not be affected or singled out.

Reply to: Gay Couple in Hurghada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted