We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurghada November 2017

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hurghada November 2017

Hi Everyone,

I am travelling to Egypt with family (all adults) on 22/11/2017 and I'm curious as to the security at Hurghada. From what I can gather the allowance for cigarettes is 200. I am looking to buy on the flight out and the brand I smoke only comes in 400, if I bring these in is it going to be an issue? I will smoke through at least half on the holiday so I wouldn't bring more than 200 back.

I believe it comes in a sealed bag, which I will leave in there until at the hotel.

I'm also curious as to the weather at the end of November...

Thanks in advance for your help :)

7 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurghada November 2017

Dale, I always get 400 on the way out and 2 litres of decent vodka. Never had an issue in arrivals.

South Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurghada November 2017

I bought 400 on the plane to Marsa Alam earlier this year and openly took them through Egyptian Customs without challenge. It didn't occur to me that there may be an allowance on the way in. I also planned to smoke half while I was away so as not to go over my limit on the way home. I didn't smoke as many as I thought so was about 100 over my UK allowance of 200 on the way home. Several years ago in an act of blatant naivety on my part I exceeded my limit from a non EU country and was stopped at Gatwick and my cigarettes confiscated. It was a most humiliating and upsetting experience and one I would not like to repeat. On my home this year with my 100 excess I decided to go through the red channel and declare them. The customs official said I had done the right thing to declare but allowed me to go through without penalty as the amount was so small.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
5,671 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurghada November 2017

Hi dale

You'll be fine going out...loads of travellers do the same, and I also get 2 litre bottles of booze as well.

Happy holidays ☀

Edited: 03 November 2017, 17:53
Blackpool
Level Contributor
47 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurghada November 2017

I am travelling a week later with Thomas Cook and have just been browsing their on line duty free brochure. With Christmas in mind, husband and me thought it a good idea to take advantage of their 4 litre for cost of 3 offer. Surely they wouldn't advertise it if it was over limit for duty free regs. I had to enter my flight details to access the brochure.

Halifax
Level Contributor
175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurghada November 2017

Why buy on the plane duty free at hurghada arruvals most major brands a lot cheaper than the plane got 400 b and h in febuary $42 brought 800 in suitcase and 30 packs amber in carry on luggage no issues at manchester although landed at 3 am happy hols ciggies very cheap in hurghada try spinneys in senzo mall we got l@m red 240 egyptian for 200 about £10 bargain happy hols off again in febuary cant wait ☺☺

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurghada November 2017

Thank you everyone for your responses! I think I'm going to go for the 400 on the plane, I have a £10 off voucher which is the reason I want to do it on the plane. Makes sense as 400 sterling dual will cost me £37. That'd be £160 in the UK.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurghada November 2017

I asked that question and basically they will sell it and your problem.... we always do this for the return flights and no problems so far!

Reply to: Hurghada November 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted