We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescribed Medication - HURGHADA

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Prescribed Medication - HURGHADA

I am off to Hurghada next February

In light of drugs banned in Egypt not sure what to do.

i am on Tramadol, however don’t take it hardly ever, so can leave it at home.

however I do need Citalopram, Co codamol and propranolol .

I rang up the Egyptian Medical consulate just now and he told me to write an email to

visa@egyptianconsulate.co.uk

i have to email my list of tablets, then from that point , they know who I am etc.

i can take the prescription needed, or the ticked leaflet for a repeat, and a Doctors letter.

I don’t want to email them if I am opening a can of worms with too much information, if you know what I mean. I tried looking on the web to see if co codamol is indeed banned, or Citalopram. Me and my hubby are on that 20 mg.

Doctors letters are not cheap, however don’t want to be in jail either.

6 replies to this topic
Hamata and...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescribed Medication - HURGHADA

There are a few posts already covering the subject and I understand your concern and anxiety.

I understand your medication is for maybe depression and anxiety.

Living in Egypt and yes it is some concern but we travel in and out many times and my partner is on a lot of medication.

The lay of the land including Tramadol is like this. To save the stress bring all your meds in original boxes that have your name on the boxes.

Bring only what you need to last the duration of your holidays.

Also the tear off part of the prescription is always good to have and keep to hand.

Basically Egypt sees Tramadol as a recreational drug.

Your other medication will be ok.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescribed Medication - HURGHADA

You should really take a few days extra just in case of unexpected delay. Keep in hand luggage as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescribed Medication - HURGHADA

A delay of a few days? The OP is going to Hurghada, not up the Amazon.

😋

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescribed Medication - HURGHADA

We had a 2 day delay in sept when we was off loaded a easy jet flight... weight issues

It does happen

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescribed Medication - HURGHADA

And I was delayed for two or three days just after Mubarak resigned in 2011 but it’s rare. Anyway, while an extra day or two’s pills probably wouldn’t raise any official eyebrows, a few days’ worth just might. I suppose it all comes down to how few is “a few”.

Edited: 11 November 2017, 02:55
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescribed Medication - HURGHADA

We have only just come back from Hurghada, my wife carries a bag full of medication when she enters Egypt, we have been going about 3 times a year. Our last passports were full of visa stamps, The main area of concern is entering the country at the airport, we have never been stopped going through customs after collecting our bags and have rearly seen anyone being stopped or searched. There main target, so I am told on this forum is single ladies who they believe is bringing in items for an Egyptian partner/friend, just like the lady who now is in trouble. If you are not taking tramadol I would not worry, just take your prescription and you will be fine. On our previous trip on entering the airport on return one of the security guards wanted me to drink my wife's morphine,

Reply to: Prescribed Medication - HURGHADA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted