We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking from Leh End of July

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
57 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trekking from Leh End of July

My son and I will be in Leh for three days of acclimation and then want to trek for additional 12 to 14 days at end of July, beginning of August. I would love to hear your recommendations for itinerary. We would prefer to travel without a guide (yes, we will pack EVERYTHING out with us); although, of course, we want to be safe. We are planing to backpack with tent/cooking equipment, but would love to have a route that has little towns, spiritual sites and possibly home stays. We have some backpacking experience in the United States and are in good physical shape.

Thank you for any assistance you can give us.

Mentioned in this post
Leh
Leh
Leh District, India
2 replies to this topic
Indore, India
Level Contributor
312 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking from Leh End of July

Hi,

If your in good shape you wont need 3 days to acclimatize skip that 1 day is enough. Leh is a scattered geography & there are many many small towns in different directions,so I suggest you plan with local people especially wid Hotel guy ur staying they can guide u better

Mentioned in this post
Leh
Leh
Leh District, India
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekking from Leh End of July

Three days acclimatization is following normal safety guidelines , the army for example certainly dont allow troops start marching higher after a single day in Leh. AMS risk is not affected by fitness.

Mentioned in this post
Leh
Leh
Leh District, India
Reply to: Trekking from Leh End of July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted