We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leh in September

Delhi
4 posts
Save Topic
Leh in September

Hi all , ME and my husband are planning to visit Leh this September.

I want to know how is the usual weather in September at Leh and what all can we explore over there.

We are planning 6 days trip at Leh

India
Level Contributor
39,491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leh in September

September is pleasant in Leh. For six days trip, the following itinerary is suggested.

Day 01: Arr. at Leh

Day 02: Leh - Lamayuru - Alchi, day trip. Alchi to Leh (70 Kms).

Day 03 : Leh to Nubra Valley (120 Kms) Arrive at Deskit by afternoon - Hunder villages and camel safari. Overnight stay at Nubra.

Day 04: Drive back to Leh, crossing Khardungla Pass. Overnight stay at Hotel in Leh.

Day 05 : Leh to Pangong Lake (160 Kms) day trip.

Day 06 : Fly to Delhi.

Edited: 19 May 2011, 18:12
Delhi
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Leh in September

thanks Roy.. actually we will be back to Delhi on 7th day morning. and your itinerary just fits to our schedule.

can u advice em on how easily car rentals available over there.. ?

and is it mandatory to make prior reservation at all de places or we can get hotels for lodging at random!!

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leh in September

I would avoid being a driver over the Khardung La or to Pangong Tso ( which on a day trip from Leh gives very little time out of the vehicle ) , go for a cab instead. Prices are regulated by the taxi union , there is a printed leaflet in every vehicle.

Warm days ,, possibly frost in the mornings. September is low season , extreme low season after the Ladakh festival - no problems finding accomodation , but hotels will start to close in September . Staying in guest houses you´ll get more intersting food , often with a family feel.

Edited: 23 May 2011, 20:53
India
Level Contributor
39,491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leh in September

For car hiring you may log on the following link

http://reachladakh.com/tour_operators.htm

It would be convenient if the hotels booked earlier.

Edited: 24 May 2011, 11:04
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leh in September

We just recently got back from a trip to Pangong Lake where we were driven to Pangong Tso from Leh via jeep and then stayed overnight at a tent there before heading back to Leh.

Beware of high altitude sickness. You will have to go from 11,000ft (Leh) to 17,000ft (Chang La Pass) before arriving at 15,000ft (Pangong Tso).

1. Drink PLENTY of water

2. Get plenty of rest

3. Inform the agent/driver if anyone has neck/back injury etc... because the ride can be rather rough (think winding, rocky, stony, dirt roads)

I wouldn't recommend renting your own car and driving to Pangong Lake yourself. You'd need a very experienced driver to take you there. You'd be driving through high mountain roads that is just one lane hugging the sides of the mountains that caters to two-way traffic which includes cargo trucks, army trucks, other cars, jeeps etc... THere is also a lack of road signs on the way. You'll also need a permit to visit Pangong Lake, so make sure the driver has these done for you/helps you with it. The agent we went with was Overland Escape. I'd give them a 3/5 stars (they needed reminders from us on a couple of things that were already on the itinerary etc..., they didn't provide the water that they'd agreed to provide to us until we reminded them etc... other than that, the driver they provided us was very experienced - we felt rather safe).

Also, even though it's a 100 mile journey, it took 5 hours to reach there. Doing a one day trip (10 hours on the road) might not be too comfortable for you. Having said that, there really is nothing much to do at the lake except admire the lake and take pictures. We went with the overnight stay and was happy we did it so we got a break from the long bumpy journey.

Also, hotels do tend to get booked quickly in Leh (e.g. we wanted to stay at Grand Dragon but it was fully booked months before our trip) so make your reservations early.

Here's our experience:

idelish.com/2011/…

Hope this helps!

Edited: 06 July 2011, 05:51
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leh in September

"1. Drink PLENTY of water"

This is potentially dangerous advice : large amounts of water means dilution of electrolytes in the blod , which gives edema in the brain and elsewhere - exactly the the thing you are trying to avoid.

See for example the advice from Peter Hackett , Everest cilmbing doc who has written the CDC altitude advisory :

"Myth #4 - Drinking extra water will protect you from altitude illness.

.. In reality you only need an additional liter to a liter and a half of water at altitude. Too much water is harmful and can dilute your body's sodium levels (hyponatremia) causing weakness, confusion, seizures, and coma.."

Note that the extra liter is written with adults at work in mind : a child in a car will need a lot less.

See also http://korta.nu/myths for a real life description on how this can play out.

Edited: 06 July 2011, 06:24
Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leh in September

You are correct! I was just updating my blog to ensure I dont add the "drink plenty of water" advice after you alerted me to the water advice not being correct! THanks for pointing it out! See here for more info about AMS: ismmed.org/…prevention

It worked for me (I think it was more psychological than physical".

Edited: 06 July 2011, 07:31
8. Re: Leh in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2012, 13:41