We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

south australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

I have a baby jogger city elite that I love perfect for all my boys needs foldS flat in under 5 sec great for going in and out of cars, fully reclines, huge hood... My question is do I buy a stroller or should I take this. Will it be too big for getting around, I've been to Bali twice but never with a kid! If I buy a stroller it will probably only be used for holidays as I live in country SA so really need my baby jogger off road tyres! I am looking at the maclaren xt $345 on sale I already have a 4 wheel quicksmart stroller but didn't realize it doesn't lay back that far so will re sell or return! My boy will be 15 months when we travel he's currently 6 months...so I assume he will still have decent day sleeps. We are spending 2 weeks in sanur! Virgin blue will carry all our baby goods free of charge so that's great news!!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,032 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

It is no good taking a large pram or stroller of any kind as they are big and bulky and are not practical due to the narrow, uneven and often blocked and broken footpaths. As it is there is very little room to even pass another person on many footpaths and these large strollers are heavy to lift. Then you have problems at restaurants and shops as there is simply very little room to get a large pram / stroller in and around.

Apart from that you risk damaging your good pram both on the plane trip and the bad footpaths.

The beach path in Sanur is rather good and would suit your pram but it would be virtually useless everywhere else.

I would recommend you get a small lightweight stroller at a garage sale or op shop for around $20 and take this with you and when you return you can donate it to a local. This is what I did every trip with my youngest. A small stroller is easy to lift over footpath obstacles, leaves some room for other pedestrians and it will fit in the small stalls / shops / restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

As I am about to be a grandmother and I travel a lot I have been looking into this. According to my research the quicksmart stroller will work best for our Asian trips. It folds up and fits into the aeroplane overhead lockers. So you can use it from the minute you disembark the plane. I read lots of reviews on the net before deciding. Though you seem to be saying it might not work best... hmmmm

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,032 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

The quicksmart is a popular choice due to the fact it folds up small. It is also lightweight and easier to use in Bali. The large prams like the op mentioned (jogger prams and other heavy large prams) are rather impractical in Bali.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

Can definitely recommend the Maclaren stroller. We have the Vogue and my 20mth still has day sleeps in it. So easy to steer compared to the prams. Other great thing that I have bought is a snooze shade plus. It is a sunshade cover that fits on to any pram or stroller and is great at making it nice and dark for them to sleep.

As for using in Bali we will be staying in Sanur in September so will let you know how it goes

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

I have 5 prams/strollers: Baby Jogger City Elite, Baby Jogger Twin, Bertini Bidwill pram + toddler seat, Steelcraft stroller and 4 wheel Quicksmart (latest model around $100 at ToysRUs). I have travelled with all 5 at different times. I bought the Quicksmart for my most recent trip (Bali and Singapore) and would never travel with anything else again. It reclined sufficiently for my 1yo and 3yo to sleep in comfortably for hours, and navigated the streets of Bali beautifully. We walked a fair way around Sanur and had no problems. I bought the utility bag that attaches to the handles and found it extremely useful for water bottles and shopping - it can be left attached (empty) when you fold the stroller.

By the time your little one is 15 months he will sleep with no problems in the Quicksmart, in fact I think any baby who has some neck strength would be fine in it. I would highly recommend this stroller for airline travel and footpaths around Bali.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Wonthaggi, Australia
Level Contributor
902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

My best advice would be to grab a $25 zuzu stroller from big w. Best thing we took to Bali with us when we travelled with our then 15 month old last year :-)

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
south australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

Thanks for ur replies!!! Second the snooze shade plus. I use mine whenever I go out and is time for cooper to have a sleep! I just tried copper in the quicksmart again I think as he gets older he will nap in it. it probably recline about as much as a car seat and he sleeps in that!hmmm options sounds like I'll leave the baby jogger at home! I suppose if he hates sleeping in it when we get there we could hire one.

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
229 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

Sling

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,032 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

slings are not all that good in Bali as it is so hot for the baby and the OP will have for 15 month old when they travel and the baby would be too big for a sling.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Wonthaggi, Australia
Level Contributor
902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baby jogger city elite pram or a stroller??? 15 month old

You'll probably find that he won't sleep in the pram by 15 months anyway.