We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

invited to dinner at balinese friends place

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
invited to dinner at balinese friends place

Hi everyone, I know I have read things about being invited to Balinese friends place - our friends have invited my partner and I and another couple (our friends) to their place for dinner. They are going to come and pick us up. I am very nervous for a number of reasons, the biggest being what do I take with me as a gift or contribution for them? The boys want to get him a fishing rod which is great, but what about his wife and 10 yr old daughter?? Any ideas? Then there is the whole question of will the food be ok to eat? I doubt they have a fridge, but I really don't know - Any advice would be great appreciated - we are going on Wed night = Thanks so much Nads

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: invited to dinner at balinese friends place

Sounds like a wonderful evening all round!

A night to treasure

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: invited to dinner at balinese friends place

so glad you enjoyed the experience we have been going to family meals for the past 25 years and still enjoy each time as the first. This has now become a "custom" among our circle and extended circles as being on the list to do in Sanur. We bring drinks ice etc and have bought eskies, stubby holders ( condoms for drinks they call them) and give the host $100 Aud to cover cost prior to the meal. Over the years we have bought bikes, washing machines, and every xmas, large drum oil, bags rice, washing powder, soap, tooth paste etc for eachh family in a box . I collet lipsticks, nail polish, make up jewellery also and take over hats, They love anything with Australia on it. Keep my eye out for festival shirts left over and ask for them.

Kids love the pencils and I collect biros and hand out which is rare. WE take so much for granted in Aussie and the landfill that goers to the tip would feed the whole island for 20 years. Cant wait fro Saturday

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: invited to dinner at balinese friends place

Just another update - we invited our friends to dinner with us and they came with their daughter bearing gifts! He is a painter, and although he didn't have time to paint a picture for us he did a pencil drawing and framed it with glass and everything! he bought packing tape and paper and once we admired it he wrapped it all up carefully for us to take home! Just beautiful. Also gave the boys some arak to take home as they were quite partial to it - could only fill up the hip flasks tho - another great evening was had by all and by the time our trip was to an end we were all shedding a tear or two!

14. Re: invited to dinner at balinese friends place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Sanur
Recent Conversations