We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

We are travelling to Bali next May as four couples all aged late 40s to celebrate three 50th birthdays without kids for 5 nights. We have not been to Bali for 20 years and wondered should we stay Legian where there are plenty of shops/bars/restaurants but beach is not great, quite polluted I believe OR should we stay Sanur at one of the hotels on the beach? We are BEACH people who prefer swimming in the beach to the pool. We don't want nightclubs but love bars/restuarants on the beach and shopping. Thoughts please?

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
23,266 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

From what you are describing, I think Sanur is better suited...most especially being able to swim. Legian/Seminyak's beaches are prone to quite strong rips and waves on occasion and so not great for an enjoyable swim.

I think you will find plenty of great places to dine out and enjoy some great little bars in Sanur.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
2. Re: Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

Yes, you are describing Sanur. Sanur also have plenty of bars, restaurants and shops, so you really won't miss out on anything staying there.

Hobart
Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

I had a group holiday in Sanur for my 50th in March and it was the perfect location. We stayed at Griya Santrian on the beach, excellent location. The main party on the birthday night was at Ducks Nutz, Gael, the owner, did a great job organising it as it was a public holiday and they had reduced staff ! I say the main party because every restaurant we went to got told it was my 50th and we had a cake and all the staff came out singing happy birthday - I think we should start singing happy birthday the way the Balinese do, it is so up beat! When we were at Ducks Nutz we met Ron who owns a villa, and he arranged a private pig on a spit with a band one night for us, it was fantastic.......can you guess i am recommending Sanur ?????

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

And I am having my 50th next year in Sanur.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

Thanks, that is very helpful. Sounds like Sanur is the better to stay from what you are all recommending.

sydney
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

Sanur for sure. I am having my piptieth in Sanur end of Nov for a few days. All the years I have been going to bali (32 to be exact) I had never stayed at Sanur had always been a legian girl but last year we stayed a few days in Sanur omg I thought I must be getting old no hassling no traffic you could cross the road eat in peace at restaurants the beach was gorgeous the hotels fab. Mind you I still love legian the seminyak end that is. The rest of my holiday will be spent at kerobokan at my expat friends villa that looks onto rice fields and is just so quiet and peaceful bring it on I say

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
133 reviews
7. Re: Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

Just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons....... We also went to Bali and spent a little over a week in both Seminyak and Sanur to celebrate my husbands 50th last December. We ended up staying in Sanur on his actual 50th as we had a large group coming over and Sanur worked out as the best choice for the group.

We enjoyed the laid back style of Sanur and it was especially good for our friends with kids, but I must admit, my heart is in Seminyak. I think it is because so many of my favourite restaurants are there.

Having said that, if you prefer the beach life, Sanur is probably the better choice. Personally, I also found the shopping pretty ordinary in Sanur, but I am not a big shopper and definitely no expert on this aspect.

As a suggestion you could do what we did.. We really do prefer the Restaurants & Bars in Seminyak, so we just hired to vans/drivers for the night and shipped the whole group over to LaLucciola for hubby's 50th! For those who wanted to party on, we went to Zappaz bar- perfect for us older types. The 1.30am taxi ride back to Sanur only cost AUD10 and was a relatively quick trip.

Hobart
Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

Maybe we should start a new review page, "50th birthdays in Bali" and we can put all our embarrassing photos on it lol

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
23,266 posts
70 reviews
9. Re: Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

Nah, they're nothing on 60th..

10. Re: Sanur or Seminyak/Legian?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 13:21