We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera Store

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Camera Store

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody knew of any electronics stores in Sanur where you can purchase digital cameras, I'm after a waterproof 10m with at least 10mp capacity so looking for any place that would sell reputable brands.

Also whether it is much cheaper than buying in Australia?

Many thanks!

Chelle

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
11. Re: Camera Store

I bought my daughter a second hand one from ebay, it was teh same Canon IXUS we paid over $500 dollars for 8 years ago...I won it for $19 on ebay and it is is excellent condition with manuals, cables etc. So, you can get a great bargain second hand!! Just as you can get ripped off also. She loves it and will be taking it with her to Bali next week.

Good luck with your search!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
12. Re: Camera Store

Hi Stormz, according to customs.gov.au,

"To claim a refund you must:

Spend $300 (GST inclusive) or more in the one store and retain your invoices.

Have purchased the goods no more than 60 days before your departure from Australia.

Wear or carry the goods on board the aircraft or ship and present them along with your original tax invoice, passport and international boarding pass to a Customs and Border Protection Officer at a TRS facility.

The refund only applies to goods you take with you as hand luggage or wear (unless aviation security measures, in regard to liquids, aerosols and gels prevent you from doing so) onto the aircraft or ship when you leave Australia. It does not apply to services or goods consumed or partly consumed in Australia, such as wine, chocolate or perfume. However, unlike other tourist shopping schemes, most of the goods, such as clothing and cameras, can be used in Australia before departure."

So it's $300+ per store, not per item ... therefore if you buy all your tablets in the same store you'll be away laughing!

Hope that helps! :)

Edited: 25 October 2013, 11:05
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
13. Re: Camera Store

You can buy more than $300 of stuff, as long as it's from the 1 store:

The key changes are:

1. Travellers can claim through the tourist refund scheme on purchases made up to 60 days before leaving Australia (under old regulations they had 30 days). This will apply to sales made on or after 17 April 2013.

2. Travellers can submit more than one tax invoice to make their claim, as long as each is a valid tax invoice from the one Australian Business Number retailer and the total value of goods purchased is $300 or more (including GST).

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4646.asp

So I guess I can get a few tablets in April 2014 and get the 10% GST back from them. Sweet!

Edited: 25 October 2013, 11:36
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
14. Re: Camera Store

Sorry, I had replied and only saw your reply on the page refreshing. Thanks :)

Tathra, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
15. Re: Camera Store

So your only saving 10% by using this scheme? Theres no other duty on tablets?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
16. Re: Camera Store

10% ... hardly seems worth it!

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
17. Re: Camera Store

Tax eg GST is 10% so buying duty free you only ever save 10%. The beauty with the TRS is that you can go to any shop and negotiate a good price eg. good guys, JB Hifi then claim the tax back. IMO duty free shops at the airport have high prices and often low choice (especially in Darwin !). With the TRS you can purchase online too.

Of the changes recently made the one where the receipts can be on different days but from the same retailer is good. I've often purchased directly from Apple and if you buy an iPad and cover they invoice you separately and they arrive separately so this is a good change.

Lou darwin

18. Re: Camera Store

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 13:22