We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring cash or use ATM

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
162 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Bring cash or use ATM

Hello,

I read some topics on TA about problems with using atm (skimming cards) and unreliable money changers.

What can we best do? Bring enough euro with us for all the daytrips and food? Or just bring some cash with us for the first days and then use atm?

What is a reliable atm/bank in sanur to get rupiahs? We will arrive within a week.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bring cash or use ATM

This is the one.

www.buravi.com/jalan/sanur/bmc-sanur.html

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bring cash or use ATM

Thank you so much for the info on the money changer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bring cash or use ATM

We use ATM's with care as if you lose you cash it's not recoverable,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bring cash or use ATM

The extra cash is safe being kept in the room safe, but why don't you ask your bank how much the fees will be to use your card overseas at ATM's. The bank that controls the actual ATM will also charge you about $2 per transaction. But at least you will know how much it's going to cost. Your bank may even be affiliated with one in Indonesia which usually means cheaper fees

Then use a mixture of both ATM's and cash. This way you are only taking as much cash as you are comfortable with.

Remember your large expenses like accommodation can be paid on credit card, some restaurants and large stores also take credit card.

Hamilton, Waikato...
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bring cash or use ATM

I used ATMs twice for withdrawals and ended up being charged about $10 NZD per transaction which wasn't too bad really for me. Once was when I first got to Bali, the second time was when I was planning on making a larger purchase that day as I didn't want to be carrying around large amounts of cash. I liked not having to sit there and carefully count out money at a money exchange place as I found all those zeros pretty confusing! Plus like was mentioned, at least this way you didn't end up losing a great deal of cash if something was to happen.

16. Re: Bring cash or use ATM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 13:19