We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nahariya

r g
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Nahariya

Nahariya used to be a lovely town.

It has now been ruined by the current mayor. Ugly and noisy promenade with blaring music separated from the beach with barriers and an awful stink near the sea. Many trees were cut down so no shade when you try to walk in the heat of the day. Unpleasent and crude architecture. And a silly canon at the entrance to the town.

I wouldn’t go back.

6 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nahariya

I remember the Nahariya in the summer of 71 and 74 when our family stayed with my maternal grandparents and have fond memories of an old style Kol Noa where I watched " Incroyable Angélique " which was risque for the time.

My first shahslik was consumed there and I recall the mercaz ha-ir.

It appears things have changed as you describe. On my last trip I just passed through as my grandparents are long gone as well as my parents and the original small appartment was sold. I would be interested in how others feel about Nahariya which was where my mother's family from Romania were first settled .

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,292 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nahariya

I'm curious -- do you live in Nahariya or are you a tourist. Most tourists have no idea of local politics. And if by canon, you are referring to a mall,I would venture most are happy with it.

r g
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nahariya

I was a tourist in Nahariya.

Not referring to a Mall just to the ugliness of this town compared to its beauty 30 years ago.

Shame on the Mayor who allowed and helped the development of such ugliness! Destroying with his pretentiousness a whole town - nothing to do with politics just lack of good taste, and corruption.

I hope no one who visits Israel will go to Nahariya.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,628 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nahariya

Sorry to learn that impression. Nahariya still has a very nice beach and lovely cafe shops on Hagaton street in center.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,292 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nahariya

Agree with Giora. I was last in Nahariya a number of years ago and found it to be a lovely town and lovely place to visit. It is hard to expect things to remain exactly the way they were 30 years ago. Increased population, awareness of ecological concerns, etc. etc. demand that things change. We don't always have to like them, but to say no one should go and visit--I don't get it! ( rhetorical comment)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nahariya

I agree with post # 4 and #5. Nahariya still has a lovely beach etc and I also disagree with your suggestions to tourists to avoid it. I would combine Nahariya with possible visits to Rosh Hanikra, Beit Lohamei Ha-Getaot, Akko / Haifa over a few day period.

Reply to: Nahariya
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nahariya