We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Busan during Chuseok festival

York, United Kingdom
4 posts
1 review
Busan during Chuseok festival

Hi! I'm planning to visit Korea for one week in early October.

My plan is to visit Seoul for 3 days then take the train to Busan on October 2nd, and fly home from Busan on October 5th. I realised this visit is during the Chuseok festival. I know the trains will be busy so I will book my train ticket in advance. However, my question is about Busan itself. Will it be crowded or quiet? I'd like to visit some markets such as the famous fish market and so on. Will they be open during this time? I'd also like to visit Gamcheon cultural village. Will the public transport such as bus and subway be running as usual? I'm not really interested in shopping...just more cultural/nature activities. Is this still a good time to visit Busan? Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

15 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
32 reviews
11. Re: Busan during Chuseok festival

I came across this post and i am heading to busan on 3rd Oct as well and when i booked the tickets i didnt know that its a super long weekend for Koreans.

Some questions that i hope someone will help me out.

1. i have already booked my tickets from Incheon to Busan on 3rd Oct morning, expected to arrive at Busan station around 10.30am in the morning. Would there be any shops open at least for me to eat breakfast?

2. Also i plan to visit skywalk on 3rd Oct itself which is just before Chuseok holiday, will the skywalk have limited opening hours?

3. Also, will the Jagalchi Fish Market be very crowded on 3rd Oct? Or should i visit it on 4th Oct morning instead? Not sure if it will be opened on 4th Oct since its the holiday. As i am only staying in Busan for one night in this period so 3rd Oct is my option and the rest of the my 5 days i will be spending in Seoul which i do not know if there will be shops open.

Or should i change my schedule to go Busan on 7th Oct which is a sat instead?

Appreciate any help rendered as i tried to go to their website but english version doesnt seem to suggest much about the opening hours during Chuseok.

thank you!

Seoul, South Korea
Destination Expert
for South Korea, Seoul
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
42 reviews
12. Re: Busan during Chuseok festival

You need to check with the tourist attractions websites themselves or with the Korea Tourism Organization. They will have different schedules, BUT typically tourist attractions are open. Markets generally close down to much more quiet levels or completely. Just keep your train tickets you have now as exchanging them/buying new ones will be impossible or very difficult.

Seoul, South Korea
1 post
13. Re: Busan during Chuseok festival

I am going to Busan from 2-5 oct., I booked 1 week ago for 46000w round trip on kobus.co.kr. Not sure if its still the case but there were a lot of available bus. You have to understand a bit of korean tho to book o nthe website.

good luck!

1 post
14. Re: Busan during Chuseok festival

Hi, are the shops on normally on 6th of October to 8th October? We are in Busan during that time and are planning to visit the Lotte department store.

On the 9th October, do you know if any places in Soul will be open?

Thanks!

1 post
1 review
15. Re: Busan during Chuseok festival

You can book the train even after that day.

We book a train this year 2018 . From Seoul to Busan . The 23th September the first day of Chuseok holiday . Less than 30day before .

You can make the reservation here https://www.letskorail.com/ebizbf/foreign_eng/main/EngErrorPage_pop.jsp;jsessionid=OCWl3BwrWWmYpRmWLYfN1McVQdsy22Ivve18bDaBS14itSxh0rrKnYJTicFVUOQi

If you can click on the reservation bouton so it’s avalaible.

Reply to: Busan during Chuseok festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted