We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

Hello,

I'll be traveling from Taipei city to Sun Moon Lake for a day trip and I have the following questions in mind.

1.Is this 1 day trip possible?

2.What is the fastest way from Taipei to Sun Moon Lake?

3.What is the fastest way from Sun Moon Lake back to Taipei.

4.What should I do & what places to visit in

Sun Moon Lake?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Sun Moon Lake
Sun Moon Lake
2,203 Reviews
Yuchi, Nantou
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

1) Although it is possible to make a day trip to Sun Moon Lake from Taipei city, it is not recommended. Sun Moon Lake is vast and there is so much to explore including the new cableway system to the nearby Formosan Aborigine Cultural Village. You may want to consider an overnight stay in Sun Moon Lake before proceeding to Cingjing the next day.

2 & 3) The easiest way from Taipei city to Sun Moon Lake is to board a HSR train to Taichung HSR Station. Travel time: About 50~60 mins. Transfer to Nantou bus 南投客運 at Taichung HSR Station (高鐵台中站1樓第5出入口第3月台) direct to Sun Moon Lake. No transfer required at Puli. Fare: NT$175 Travel time: About 1 hr 20 mins ~ 1 hr 30 mins.

Nantou Bus schedule: http://www.ntbus.com.tw/032.htm

Nantou bus fares: http://www.ntbus.com.tw/989tk.htm

4) Top places to visit in Sun Moon Lake include:

Wen-wu Temple, Ci-En Pagoda (25 mins walk up the steps to top of hill), cruise to Lalu Island (Kwang Hwa Island), Ita Thao Village (Dehua Village) to view cultural performances, Peacock Garden, ropeway to Formosa Aborigine Cultural Village nearby.

Other places to visit include: Butterfly Garden and Museum, Syuen-tzang Temple (玄奘寺), Syuan-guang Temple (玄光寺) and hiking trails including up Mt Maolan (1020m AMSL) to the weather station.

Sun Moon Lake attractions: www.sunmoonlake.gov.tw/sun.aspx?Lang=EN (In English)

Sun Moon Lake specialty products: www.sunmoonlake.gov.tw/EN/02000092.aspx (In English)

Mentioned in this post
Sun Moon Lake
Sun Moon Lake
2,203 Reviews
Yuchi, Nantou
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Nantou
Nantou
Taiwan
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

Thanks for your reply, taiwan DIY.

We would like to visit Wen-wu Temple, Ci-En Pagoda and engage the cruise to Lalu Island.

I have the questions below:

1. What is the location that the Nantou Bus will stop at Sun Moon Lake?

2. From the location that we alight at Sun Moon Lake, which place we should go first and how should we travel from one place to other place and back to the station that we can take the Nantou Bus to Taichung HSR Station.

Looking forward for your reply and thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Nantou
Nantou
Taiwan
Sun Moon Lake
Sun Moon Lake
2,203 Reviews
Yuchi, Nantou
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

1) Shueishe Boat Wharf is near Shueishe Visitor Centre, the transportation hub at Sun Moon Lake.

Map of Shueishe Visitor Centre and bus stand at Sun Moon Lake:

…emmm.tw/sys/club_tra/map/map_38357_0b.jpg

The bus stand is at the front (not at the side as shown in the map) of Shueishe Visitor Centre.

2) Round Sun Moon Lake shuttle bus

Nantou Bus Co. operates a shuttle bus service along part of the 37km route around Sun Moon Lake from 0640 hrs (weekdays) / 0730 hrs (weekends) and ends at 1800 hrs. The one day pass NT$80 allows unlimited travel on the shuttle bus. The shuttle bus stops at or within a short walk to the place of attraction. The shuttle bus on the route direction arrives at the same stop about an hour after you alighted from the bus. Check with the driver the expected time of next bus arrival before you alight as sometimes the schedule is not adhered.

Check these links for the bus schedules and various attraction stops: www.sunmoonlake.gov.tw/EN/02001269.aspx

http://www.ntbus.com.tw/5-25.htm

One-day pass can be purchased from the counter staff at Shueishe Visitor Centre (水社旅客服務中心), the transportation hub at Sun Moon Lake.

Apart from round-lake shuttle buses, visitors can also hire cabs, self-drive rental cars, yacht / boat rides in Sun Moon Lake, electric charged motorcycles and bicycles are available for hire.

Mentioned in this post
Sun Moon Lake
Sun Moon Lake
2,203 Reviews
Yuchi, Nantou
Nantou
Nantou
Taiwan
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

Depending on how many places you want to see, you can hire a cab at Sun Moon Lake for NT$500 (about 2 hours duration) to NT$1000 (about 4 to 5 hours duration). Always negotiate and agree on price and duration before boarding.

Edited: 29 September 2010, 14:06
Mentioned in this post
Sun Moon Lake
Sun Moon Lake
2,203 Reviews
Yuchi, Nantou
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

Hi taiwanDIY,

Thanks for the useful information.

1. May I know where to hire those cabs, electric charged motorcycles and bicycles?

2. Is there any cab run by meter at all the places of interest at Sun Moon Lake? I would prefer meter cab instead of hire a cab.

3. Can I get more info on the cruise to Lalu Island such as:

- the ticket counter,

- ticket price

- boat schedule

- the location of the Wharf (from Sun Moon Lake to Lalu Island)

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Sun Moon Lake
Sun Moon Lake
2,203 Reviews
Yuchi, Nantou
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

1) Cabs, electric charged motorcycles and bicycles can be found along the round lake road, but are mostly found around Shueishe Visitors Centre.

2) Cabs generally charge by agreed fare than by meter. The cab driver will wait for you to return to the cab to bring you to the next agreed place of attraction.

3) Presently, the 4 boat wharves in Sun Moon Lake are Chaowu Wharf, Shueishe Wharf, Yidashao (also spelled Ita Thao) Wharf and Syuanguang Temple Wharf. Shueishe boat wharf is about 5 mins’ walk to Shueishe Visitor Centre, the main bus stop and transportation hub at Sun Moon Lake. Nearby is Chaowu Wharf. Yidashao Wharf and Syuanguang Temple Wharf are located across the lake. Ticket counters at located at the boat wharves. If embark at Shueishe boat wharf, usually stop at 3 attractions -- Lalu Island: 5 mins; Syuanguang Temple: 25 mins; Ita Thao: 30 mins.

Cost of boat tours: NT$300 (adult); NT$200 (child). Operating hours of boat rides: 0900 to 1800 hrs. The duration of boat ride is about 90~100 mins.

Mentioned in this post
Sun Moon Lake
Sun Moon Lake
2,203 Reviews
Yuchi, Nantou
ShueiShe Wharf
ShueiShe Wharf
82 Reviews
Nantou City, Nantou
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

Dear Taiwan DIY,

Thanks for all your useful info and appreciate that very much.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
475 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

Hi i am getting a cab for the following>

逢甲→埔里→日月潭→水社碼頭(乘船遊湖、哪嚕島、伊達邵部落)→梅荷園步道→水社壩>清境

is this workable? and i miss any places that a must to visit?

thanks

Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

Hi,

i will be travelling up from Taipei to Taichung and stay 1N at Taichung. Would like to visit SML for 1 day tour.

I plan to tour sun moon lake on the day i arrive. Is it possible?

Understand that there are a few must see attractions in SML. I have to take the nantou bus to shuishe pier. Then from there how to i go to Wen-wu Temple, Ci-En Pagoda, cruise to Lalu Island, Ita Thao Village, Peacock Garden, ropeway to Formosa Aborigine Cultural Village?

As i see from the nantou bus timetable. It only mention shishe viistor centre, wenwu temple, Ita Thao and xuanzang & xuangguang temple.

Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun Moon Lake - 1 day trip

1) From Taichung HSR take a nantou bus from HSR station exit 5 platform 3.

2) Bus would terminates at Shuishe Visitor Centre.

3) Can take boat / bus ride to view SML.

4) Boat ride goes to lalu island, xuan zhang temple and ita thao. (All tis is to see onli rite? we are not able to get off the boat?)

5)Ita tha can take cable car up to view the whole of SML and to see cultural show

6)bus ard the island stops at wenpu temple and xuanzhang temple. From xuan zhang temple we can walk to see ci-en pagoda.

what about peacock garden? and also how to go back to taichung from SML?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post