We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Topic
travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

My family of 4 adults have booked ticket to reach Taipei on 17.4.2012 arriving at 11.50 am flight. From Taipei airport, we plan to go to Taichung immediately. Please advise the best and fastest way (I heard of the Taichung HSR) to reach Taichung and any recommendation of hotel (for 2 nights stay) would also be appreciated. Thereafter, we intend to spend 1 night in Taipei.

Many thanks,

Daisy Ho

Singapore

Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Level Contributor
774 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

Fastest way is via HSR. But you have to take a bus UBus 705 to Taoyuan HSR Station first, it is about 20 min ride NTD30 each. Then take HSR to Taichung HSR Station, about 40 min NTD540 (10% to 30% discount if book in advance subject to availability).

Most would stay around Fengjia Night Market. Beacon Hotel is pretty convenient in the middle of Fengjia NM. There are many other hotels and rental houses recommended in this forum, like Tomato Room, Corner, etc. Do a search.

Mentioned in this post
Taoyuan
Taoyuan
Taiwan
FengJia Night Market
FengJia Night Market
1,293 Reviews
Xitun, Taichung
Beacon Hotel
Beacon Hotel
322 Reviews
Xitun, Taichung
Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

Thanks for advice. When can i book in advance. My plane arrives at 11.50 am at Taipei Airport on 17.4.2012 (i have to collect baggages - take bus) - so what is the best time slot to book HSR to Taichung. How do I know when the 10 to 30 % discount is available so that I can do booking - when can I do booking?

Edited: 13 December 2011, 10:03
Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Singapore
Level Contributor
774 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

For the 10% to 30% discount, it is under the Early Bird scheme. Check on HSR website on the scheme.

www.thsrc.com.tw/tc/ticket/tic_kind07.asp

For day of arrival, I don't pre-purchase tickets in case of delay, cancellation, traffic jams on way to HSR station,etc. Anyway there is HSR train every half an hour, so unless peak or you want to get the discounts, I don't think it is necessary to pre-purchase.

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

Grateful thanks. any recommendation of reasonable hotel in Taichung which is near Feng Jia market or near some train station because we will be going to Taipei for 2 days and then fly home to Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

hi daisy ,

was there last week , hired a taxi from taoyuan to taichung (4pax) , stayed at Beacon hotel (Family Rm : 1queen & 2 Single bed) . the room was very clean. Fengjia market was just infront .

Mentioned in this post
Beacon Hotel
Beacon Hotel
322 Reviews
Xitun, Taichung
Singapore
Level Contributor
774 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

Yes Beacon Hotel's location is good. Others incl Tomato Room, Corner. There are many reasonably priced rental apartments scattered around Fengjia.

Mentioned in this post
Beacon Hotel
Beacon Hotel
322 Reviews
Xitun, Taichung
Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

Thanks Honeyloveholi, may i know how much was the taxi fare you paid from Taipei airport (Taoyuan) to taichung (i also got 4 pax but all adults) and with 3 luggages - can taxi fit us in??

Thanks in advance for your answer. PS, is it safe to take taxi??

Mentioned in this post
Taipei
Taipei
Taiwan
Taoyuan
Taoyuan
Taiwan
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

hi daisy ,

after calculate the fare i decided to hire the taxi , for me is (3+1) so he charge nt3000. i had 3 big luggages with me too .You can call few driver to check the price first then confirm with them and he will wait for you at the airport . Taxi at taiwan is super friendly :)

Singapore, Singapore
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

Thanks Honeyloveholi, may i know how long was the ride - is it a 7-seater cab or ordinary taxi. can i hire the taxi when i reach taoyuan airport - do i need to go to special counter at airport to hire the taxi??

U paid TWD3000 (including 50% surcharge and highway charges).

i am also staying at tomatoe room so how to tell them so that they know the correct route and not take me on a merry-go-round.

kam sia for your help.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year 2012 in advance.

Singapore
Level Contributor
774 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: travel to Taichung from Taipei Airport

Daisy H

Do not need to book taxi in advance. Just follow the sign at the airport to go the place to take taxi. Taix are plenty and Q also not long. But the taxi is normal size taxi, not the MPV type. If you need MPV, you might need to book in advance.

Enjoy your trip.