We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JW Marriott

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
JW Marriott

Hi all

My friend and I are planning a 7 night trip to Thailand end of Jan / start of Feb 2019. We have both been to Krabi before and stayed at the Sofitel which we really liked. We wanted something similar with a nice big pool and good local restaurants/bars within 10 mins walking distance. We like the look of the JW Marriott in Khao Lak and would be very grateful to know the following:

- Is the pool nice and big? Feel like the photos could be a bit deceptive. Might not compare to the Sofitel in size but we are going to be spending a lot of time at the pool and want to know it is big/nice and there are plenty of sun loungers with umbrellas

- Are there nice local restaurants/bars within walking distance? Google maps suggests there are a couple of places (Pens and coconut nearby and more places 10-12 minute taxi ride away. We also like the look of Memories Bar which looks like a taxi ride away). Any recommendations would be great.

- Are there any day trips you would recommend? We did a 4 island boat tour from krabi which was good.

- Any idea what the weather will be like at this time?

Many thanks in advance

10 replies to this topic
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,299 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JW Marriott

- Is the pool nice and big?

When the JWM was first opened at the time its pool was one of the biggest in Thailand. It still is. I'm sure you can see from the pics that there is the large main pool with swim up bar with rooms on either side, ground floor all providing direct pool access into a feeder pool that goes around most of the resort. It continues into the second block where there is a large jacuzzi and swim up bar occupying one half nearer the beach and family accommodation the top half. Again ground floor rooms are all pool access. Plenty of loungers at the far end of the pool and along the beachfront.

- Are there nice local restaurants/bars within walking distance?

Since the removal of the beach restaurants next to the JWM there are few in the immediate vicinity. This map shows what is nearby and in the wider area https:/…202016.htm Pam's and Blue Mist opposite are less than 10 minutes by taxi and there are a number further along the beach road parallelling Khuk Khak Beach up to the Orchid Resort. More now than shown on the map. The main townships of Bang Niang (for restaurants, bars and local markets) and Bang La On (for most restairant, shops and plenty of bars) are 15 minutes by shuttle or taxi.

- Are there any day trips you would recommend? We did a 4 island boat tour from krabi which was good.

You can see pics of the popular trips at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297… and there have been a number of recent requests for recommendations for tours if you just go down the forum topics.

- - Any idea what the weather will be like at this time?

January and February are the best two months for weatherusulaly. Least rain, most sun, noy too hot or humid in the evenings.

Hope this helps.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JW Marriott

We were in Kha Lak the same time this year. Just a few afternoon showers in the first few days. Nothing that stopped us going out and about. We liked Memory's beach a bar and there is another one the other side of the peninsular called Coconut beach and the BoatYard. It was our favourite. We did a speed boat trip to the Surin islands which was a great day out. We also drove and hired boats at the Ratchaprapha Dam and Phang Nga were we locally rented long tail boats. We also did the local waterfall.

My Google map will give you an idea of the area. -

https://drive.google.com/open…

Phil

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JW Marriott

The pool is the best I have ever been in. We had a pool access room in block 4 and had day beds on our patio. We spent hours walking and swimming in the pool. We are going back in June for another pool access room. It is well worth the extra money. Even though it is a big hotel it never feels crowded. I would recommend a pool access room in block 3 or 4. Blocks 1 & 2 have a very shallow pool access and shrubbery in front that makes it harder to access the pool. We didn't like block 5. Happy to answer any other questions. Can you tell we loved it? LOL

Linda

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JW Marriott

Arandora thank you so much for the comprehensive reply. Great to hear your views on pool. I had read some of the beach restaurants had closed but wasn't sure. That's a bit of a shame but sounds like taxis are readily available and lots of options near by. I will check your reviews but if there are any other restaurants you particularly like would be good to know.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JW Marriott

Thanks very much PhilW, very useful. Do you recall how long it took to get to memories, coconut bay n boatyard please?

LindaEvVictoria that's great to know, thank you so much. Did you go to any local bars and restaurants you would recommend. I read about a happy hour at the hotel. I hope they still do that

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,299 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JW Marriott

It is about 20-30 minute walk to Memories from the JWM. There is a creek to cross which gets quite deep and fast when in full flow. Coconut Beach/Botyard is further across the Cape Pakarang headland and best by taxi. They will organise one back for you. Local restaurants like Pam's and Blue Mist will take you there and back as will others such as Ma Ma Greetings on the road leading to the Orchid Beach Resort.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JW Marriott

Hi have stayed in both hotels and the Jwm has the bigger pool and in my opinion the Jwm is the better of the hotels.not much wrong with the Sofitel it just seems to me that the Jwm does things a little bit better.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JW Marriott

Brightyellow we went on a luxury escapes package which included all meals. The food and beverage prices are pretty steep at the hotel. The restaurants near the beach are fairly close. We usually go in June as it is our winter, so the beach is quite often red flagged. We don't swim in the ocean so the pool is important to us.

We are going to the x10 first with a pool access room. I believe the food and beverage prices there are very reasonable and it is close to restaurants. It will be interesting to compare the two. You could have a look at x110 for your holiday.

Linda

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JW Marriott

X10 food and drink prices are very reasonable for a hotel. You can download the menus and price lists from the web page. - http://www.khaolakhotel.com/

Phil

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JW Marriott

Thanks all very much for your prompt and very helpful responses. I think we are gonna go with JW marriott this time:)

Reply to: JW Marriott
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted