We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mae Sai to Chiang Rai (Airport)

1 post
Save Topic
Mae Sai to Chiang Rai (Airport)

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to find specifics on how to get from Mae Sai to Chiang Rai, and though many places state that there is frequent and inexpensive bus service between these two cities, I haven't been able to find any particulars.

Which companies service this route? Is there any direct service to the airport? Is there any way to view timetables or book this passage online? (Mae Sai to Chiang Rai OR Chiang Rai Airport, preferably)

Thank you for your help!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7,510 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mae Sai to Chiang Rai (Airport)

Yes Greenbus Thailand do this route.Just Google and you will find information

However , it is not out to the Airport as far as I recall.

There is a bus station in town and one out of town, which I think is closer to the Airport ,so a taxi or Tuk Tuk.

Perhaps Bruce J who is up that way might be able to give you additional information

Chok Dee

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mae Sai to Chiang Rai (Airport)

Hi

there is local bus service and min vans that go about every hour to old bus station the one downtown then grab taxi to airport

Pueblo, Colorado
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mae Sai to Chiang Rai (Airport)

I ride the bus MS to CR and return often. Don't know about the timetables. Just show up at the MS bus station and wait a bit. If you're concerned about when the next bus leaves, just tell staff you are going to CR. They will make sure you know which bus/van to get on. There will be buses leaving every hour at least and there will be nice modern vans leaving every hour at least. The vans are more comfortable, air-conditioned and are 62 baht one way. For the older buses and the vans, you just pay the driver. All of the transport goes right by the highway turn-off to the airport and will let you off at that intersection if you ask. They will let you off anywhere. Get off there and very, very soon a taxi will go by on its way to the airport. Flag it and ride the taxi that last 2.5 km to the airport. It is just as likely that a local will pick you up and transport you that last little bit before a taxi even arrives, especially if you indicate that you need a ride. Chiang Rai is like that.

Chiang Rai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mae Sai to Chiang Rai (Airport)

There are some excellent suggestions here already.

if time is an issue and money is not, then get a taxi from Mae Sai direct to the airport, if you have heavy luggage it's what I would do. otherwise I'd get a minivan and ask him to put me off at the airport turnoff and flag down a taxi, it shouldn't take long.

5. Re: Mae Sai to Chiang Rai (Airport)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2017, 12:15