We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
194 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We are leaving Chiang Rai today at the conclusion of a 3 weeks tour of SEA. Our time here was too brief, only 2.5 days

We arrived by VIP Green bus, a pleasant comfortable ride. Washroom at the back of the bus. Please be aware that there are 2 stops in Chiang Rai, we couldn't understand the driver's announcement and got off at the first stop. Having to take a Tuk Tuk with 4 bags and 2 people on the Highway was an adventure I prefer not repeating.

We were able to capture many highlights of Chiang Rai with our tour guide Jermsak and his daughter. Such a kind, soft spoken man who is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge.

We visited the White Temple and learned the background of the artist and why he build it. We were also able to meet the artist while there. It was explained to me that he is trying to reach a younger population by the various paintings of the murals inside the temple. It is a creative way of sharing Buddhist beliefs. It is a temple that is still a work in progress, many artist were working while we were there. The artist was inspired by Gaudi's work in Barcelona, it is easy to see the comparison.

Next we hiked thru the Bamboo rain forest to Chiang Rai's highest waterfall. Jermsak said it was a 20 minute hike each way, for us it was closer to 1 hr each way. It was definitely worth it. Such a beautiful serene place to visit.

We then visited a cave where 3 Monks live. Inside were golden statutes of the Buddha. It was difficult to believe people could live there.

Jermsak also took us to various village of Hill Tribes and explained the culture of each tribe. He himself is a member of the Moung tribe. I was fascinated about his own experience.

I felt like I had completed an intense University class at the conclusion of our tour. I left with so much knowledge and appreciation for this beautiful place.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for your report. Those are things about the White Temple that I did not know, so I appreciate you passing along the knowledge!

Semarang
Level Contributor
17 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for sharing.

It seems the White Temple is a must in CR. I'm visiting Chiang Rai next week, so I'll definitely put it in my bucket list. Did you go to the black house as well?

Oh and how much did Jermsak ask for guiding & driving per day?

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,160 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Heading over there tomorrow. Whats the name of 'bamboo forest' or waterfall and or park if located in one.

THANKS

Searching and I come up with; Namtok Khun Kon Forest Park

would that be it

THANKS

Edited: 18 October 2016, 13:17
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Thank you for sharing. We arrive in CR mid December and have a couple of tours planned with Jermsak.

Glad you enjoyed your time there.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Jermsak charged 3100 THE. we did not visit the Black Temple. Our tour started at 8:30 AM and finished at 5:00 PM. we visited several tribes and a meditation cave that Monks live in. We could have ridden elephants but had done that in Chiang Mai. The waterfall(Kaun Korn) was a bit of a trek our maybe we were just in really bad shape.

Edited: 18 October 2016, 15:18
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Jermsak charged 3100 THE. we did not visit the Black Temple. Our tour started at 8:30 AM and finished at 5:00 PM. we visited several tribes and a meditation cave that Monks live in. We could have ridden elephants but had done that in Chiang Mai. The waterfall(Khaun Korn) was a bit of a trek our maybe we were just in really bad shape.

Edited: 18 October 2016, 15:19
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
194 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Sorry, auto correct and I didn't know how to delete 2nd post. Khun Korn waterfall and the fee was 3100 THB

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,160 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
925 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

Enjoying reading great! !

How did you book your green bus tickets? Red people complaining booking then exchange for the actual ticket? ?thanks