We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year in Chiang Rai

Singapore River...
Level Contributor
35 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
New Year in Chiang Rai

I'm curious, is there any firework display on the New Year Eve in Chiang Rai? If yes, where is it? How do people usually celebrate new year there? Or is there any entertainments being closed down due to the mourning of the passing of the King?

Den Haag
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year in Chiang Rai

Go to Chiang mai for some fireworks and lampion releases etc. However, due to the mourning of the passing of the King there will be no fireworks this year in either place.

Singapore River...
Level Contributor
35 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year in Chiang Rai

Noted. Thanks for the information.

Pueblo, Colorado
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year in Chiang Rai

If you're in CR for New Year Eve, the main event is usually held around the clock tower downtown.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,379 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year in Chiang Rai

Normally Chiang Rai has fireworks, lots of live music and thousands of lanterns being released. The major celebration takes place at the Clock Tower. When I was there a couple of years ago on New Year's Eve the lanterns could be seen from just about everywhere.

I do not have any information on whether the fireworks will be cancelled due to the King's passing, but I would expect they would be.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Singapore River...
Level Contributor
35 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year in Chiang Rai

I see.. Thanks a lot for the information, anyway the clock tower is worth to visit, especially in the night time it looks amazing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,318 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year in Chiang Rai

From Richard barrow. richardbarrow.com/2016/…

NEW YEAR COUNTDOWN: There will be a public countdown for sure. Though it is not clear yet how they will make this appropriate. It is also doubtful there will be fireworks. There will be music, but they are not sure what kind yet. However, if you attend a private countdown party in a club or hotel, then they will continue exactly the same as last year.

Edited: 02 November 2016, 23:09
Singapore River...
Level Contributor
35 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year in Chiang Rai

Well, as for me, countdown is identical to firework, so without firework it's like just another night. But of course I understand that the country is still in mourning period so I guess I'll monitor that website to see if there is any other interesting thing to do.

8. Re: New Year in Chiang Rai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2017, 12:16