We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

uk
Level Contributor
161 posts
Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

Hi been looking into as a day trip for one of the days. We would love to see Elephants and this seems a more sympathetic environment than some others.

Has anyone been and is it worthwhile and if so how would go about booking? Are we best to get a taxi or book from hotel?

Many thanks

Martin

30 replies to this topic
cli
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
1 review
1. Re: Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

Hi, I've been many times over the years as I live just a few minutes drive away but not been in the past 2 years but would doubt if anything has changed. We and our visitors have always enjoyed going there, ive never witnessed or heard of anything nasty happening here and they do genuinely seem to care for their animals. After a ride there is usually a short show which is optional but again I've never witnessed any cruelty as many would have you believe but everyone's entitled to their opinion as indeed going for a ride is also optional and if you just want to see and feed the animals you can do so quite happily.

As for getting there you can just ask a taxi to take you there, you can also go as part of an organised trip or get your hotel to make a booking for you but just turning up is cheapest and the staff there will tell you your options.

Enjoy your trip.

Torrevieja, Spain
Level Contributor
275 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

Hi, we went last year. I emailed them saying what we wanted to do on our visit. We wanted to see & get up close to the elephants also to learn about them. I had a responce within a short time from an English volunteer saying we were welcome to come & visit. We arranged a day early morning. It is recommended that you go when there are English volunteers working. We arranged our own taxi as the owner of our accommodation knew the place & made sure the driver took us there & not one of the other Elephant places. They will arrange a taxi for you if you are unsure.

There is no entrance charge, we went armed with bananas tho they will give you some fruit there to feed them. We left a donation for the foundation, we enjoyed a good hour & a half with the Elephants & got some fantastic photos.

The men outside the entrance selling souvenirs are nothing to do with Hutsadin.

I would go again.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

It is only a couple of miles from Hua Hin centre.

Been there a few times. Seems a genuine charity. Riding and the small show optional.

Just turn up. They obviously welcome donations.

uk
Level Contributor
161 posts
4. Re: Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

Many thanks chaps- I have emailed them and have arranged a morning with the Elephants. As you say it does seem a genuine charity which we would prefer.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
966 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

I'm sorry but riding and seeing them in a show is just pure cruelty, their website shows a baby elephant kneeling as if praying next to a bloke... how do you think they got the elephant to do this exactly? Do you know that is painful for an elephant when they are ridden? If this place genuinely cared for the eleohants there would be no riding, no shows, nothing. This is about as unethical as you can get, you will be contributing towards this cruelty by given them your money.

Manchester
Level Contributor
737 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

Hi,

a great place to see elephants is WFFT Wildlife Friends for Thailand near Cha- am ...they have a website you can book your day out on.They pick you up from your hotel,serve lunch ,bring you back...you walk with elephants,feed them and hose them down,,only,certain ones of course,,,some have been cruelly treated and are not safe.lots of other animals to see, moon bears,monkeys,slow lorries......some heartbreaking stories,,,but you will have a great day..

Melbourne
Level Contributor
419 posts
127 reviews
7. Re: Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

Mmmm anywhere that is letting you ride an elephant does not sound ethical!

You can visit elephants in the wild at Kui Buri Natuonal Park.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
63 reviews
8. Re: Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

I am not a vet nor an expert in animal husbandry.

Remember that we are talking about Thailand. Certain things will never change. For every western tourist that is put off visiting places like Hutsadin by posts such as those above there will be thousands and more Chinese and other nationalities who will never read these posts and who do not give a hoot as to whether it is a good or bad thing to ride an elephant.

I would suggest that, in the context of Thailand, Hutsadin does more good than harm.

cli
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
1 review
9. Re: Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

Very well said bill, I entirely agree it's you.

Personally I'm a believer in if you don't like it then don't buy it, use it, wear it, do it, eat it etc etc and please don't ram your opinions down others throats.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
966 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Hutsadin Elephant Foundation

No one rammed anything down someone's throat, get your facts right, but the op asked people's opinions if it was a 'good' place. My opinion is no it's not, and khun bill you are right, places like this will continue to exist purely from selfish people who don't give a toss.

Reply to: Hutsadin Elephant Foundation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted