We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Hi Everyone, just a short JBR on Hua Hin.

We were picked up from Suvarnabhumi Airport by Ms Na on the 30th January 2018, all went to plan. Her driver was waiting for us and we had a smooth ride with a coffee break.

Arrived safely at our hotel VI.SA Hotel Hua Hin. This hotel is still good value and in a good location.

Found Hua Hin not so busy this trip and a few places either closed or changed owners.

Soi 80 is very different but we were happy two of our favourite restaurants ie Angies and the Pizza restaurant are still going strong.

We spent a few evenings eating out at the food court in Soi 88 (across the railway line) and Soi 94. In Soi 94 there is an area called The Circle which has a lot of bars made from old containers. Very trendy area with some music and popular with the Thais. Across from here we ate a few meals mostly Thai and good value.

Khao Takiab beach still had the sunbeds apart from Wednesdays. It was very busy, this area seems to be getting more popular each time we visit. Sometimes too much for me so we changed beaches lol.

I didn't buy much as the baht was very strong against the AUD.

Went to a Trivia Quiz night at the High Five Bar (thru FB Hua Hin forum) which was fun..Our team came 2nd last lol but we enjoyed ourselves and met Leigh (hi Leigh).

We spent a day with the Thai Cooking Course Hua Hin which always an excellent experience.

We drove up to Pala-u Waterfall. As there hadn't been much rain there wasn't much happening with the waterfall but we still enjoyed the drive and walking across the bamboo bridge.

Chinese New Year we arranged to meet Moliner and we watched the parade staring off from the Thai Boxer statue and make their way through town. Very colourful and this year there was more activity with the older children.

We went for a three night road trip, staying at the Hadthong Hotel PKK for one night. We are pretty lucky at picking our times as there was some festival on. We stayed 23rd February and had a look around the floral displays and market. We had dinner that night at the Ma-Prow restaurant and got to see the fireworks. Thoroughly enjoyed our short time here.

Drove further down to Ban Krut staying at the Suan Bankrut Beach Resort. Ban Krut is a perfect place if you are looking for a very quiet laid back break. Fantastic seafood and never crowded.

Came back from down south and spent a day with Moliner checking out some of the other areas away from Hua Hin.

We left Hua Hin on the 2nd March 2018 and used Ms Na's driver again to take us back to Bangkok.

I've done some reviews today which will probably be up in a couple of days.

Loki if you could help me with the details of what the festival in PKK was for i'd be very grateful.

The weather in Hua Hin the period of when we arrived and left was a mixture of sunny, bit of rain, couple of cold days and getting hotter when we left.

The ocean after the cold and rain passed was clear and flat and I only saw two jelly fish washed up on the sand when I was doing my daily walks. Swam most days in the ocean also.

Hope this helps CJ

Mentioned in this post
Thai Cooking Course Hua Hin
Thai Cooking Course Hua...
543 Reviews
Hua Hin, Thailand
Ban Krut
Ban Krut
Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
16 replies to this topic
Torrevieja, Spain
Level Contributor
265 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Great jbr as always Maureen.

It was lovely to meet up & to see some of the surounding area with you. Meeting others is always a good way of finding things out & learning new things.

Our last day was very wet. The beach at Hua Hin was empty of sunbeds & all restaurants closed, bar a couple by the Hilton.

Hua Hin is still a favourite place of ours & we are looking forward to eating good food & swimming in the sea again.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
847 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Thanks for the report. Handy for our upcoming 3 weeks visit in April/May.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
6,913 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Very nice report. And the PKK festival was for........just the hell of it......LOL

Haven't a clue really, but they seem to be putting one on every other week. Seems they just got done taking down the stages and display areas, then putting them right back up lately.

Kind of busy for such a small town, and they seem to know how to attract some revenue for everyone. Quite enjoyable for tourist, a bit repetitive for living here, but better than the alternative..........and good for some munching, sipping, people watching.

Officially, that one was called "Prachuapkhirikhan, Miracle of Three Kingdoms and the Red Cross" ............... that's a mouth full. http://www.banmuang.co.th/news/region/103700

Also was the biggest and best one, for the past year or so, since we've been here. Good timing indeed. The market, pass Hadthong, starting just before the pier, toward the festival, to about the turn to the monkey hill, is a weekend market, every Fri Sat.

The rest, stages and such, and around to the 2nd road, that was the actually festival.

Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
114 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Hi there M....great review of our stay in HH and yes, it was great meeting you at the trivia night. Next visit you need to let me take you on a food journey around HH. Cheers and meet you again in HH. x Leigh

Manchester
Level Contributor
663 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Looking forward to reading more reviews from you ...arriving end of May can't wait..yeah the Thai baht remains so strong against our rubbish british pound..but it's still so much cheaper than the Med Euro resorts for us..

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Hi Manchester the rate is still much better in Thailand though.

Yesterday Asda were guaranteeing the best rates for 5 miles @ 40.01/GBP.

43.3 on www.daytodaydata.net so still much better in the LOS.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Level Contributor
663 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Yeah we bring sterling and go to the kiosk in the basement of MV.

Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Hi chuckyJellie ,

Can you give me an approximate AUD $ of the taxi ride with Ms Na from BKK to Hua Hin please ?

Much appreciated

Kiele

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to everyone. I haven't stopped since we got home.

mOlinerO (Carol) it was so good catching up with you both again. I'm loving your photos on fb. Keep having fun you two.

Frithwood, thankyou and I hope you have a great holiday.

Loki_UAV, thanks for filling me in on the festival, I knew there was the Friday night market that why we booked for the day and the festival was a bonus. The flower displays were really nice and we had a laugh watching a couple of guys at the shooting gallery trying to win a prize. Lucky the rain stopped in time for the fireworks. cheers.

Leigh H, I will take you up on that offer, cheers

ManchesterBuster, Hope the pound improves for you. Have fun.

Kiele Australia, We paid the driver for Ms Na 2400 Baht cash when we stopped for coffee. The arrangement with our booking was if we booked one way and then a return trip to Bangkok the return fee was only 2000baht. Check the currency exchange rate for AUD to Thai Baht when you book and have a fun holiday.

Hope this helps, cheers. CJ

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Aussie
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas

Great report Maureen and good to see you enjoyed yourself as always . We are hoping the $$$ will improve a bit before we go but can't complain about costs over there..we just spent $810 to send mum up to Cairns after my sister had an accident and broke her jaw among other things (we got flights to Bangkok for $335 return so it hurt paying that much) no wonder we holiday overseas ..

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Reply to: Just Back Report on Hua Hin and some surrounding areas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted