We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Sample family journey by road from Bangkok to Phuket

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HELP! Sample family journey by road from Bangkok to Phuket

Hi All,

Have worked out a sample family journey by road from Bangkok to Phuket. We have previously been to Phuket 3 times and wanted to try something different this time around.

I would like any suggestions from anyone who has done this as to what I should add or change (including places to visit, recommended hotels and nights to stay).

I would also love to know whether you recommend hiring a driver (if so, who will cover this distance?) or trains/buses/taxis (I only know about Bangkok to Hua Hin for this). We want to be able to stop and look at things at our leisure, and in Phuket usually travel by Tuk Tuk or motorbike rather than air cond car/van to avoid travel sickness and get the feeling of being out on the open road! (Obviously bike no good for our 10 and 13 year old children!)

Here is my sample:

Sydney to Bangkok flight approx 25 June 2010 and stay approx 3 nights see local sights including floating markets, tiger temple etc (not sure how far we can go on day trips)

Then after 3 nights travel by road or train to Hua Hin and stay 2 nights visiting markets, monkey mountain monastery, palace etc

then travel by road(?) to Ranong and stay 1-2 nights(?) visit Hot springs and Victoria Point bordering Myanmar

Then travel by road(?) to Khao Lak and stay 3 nights before travelling again by road (?) to Phuket for 7 nights.

PLEASE help me as I am going insane trying to figure this out! I want to book flights and accommodation ASAP!

Thanks, Cherrie

cli
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Sample family journey by road from Bangkok to Phuket

Hi, I just drove back from Krabi late yesterday, so some of my suggestions going back southwards from HH would be to stop off at Prachuabkhirikhan and drive off around the bay then have a look at some of the beaches just south, also if of any interest this is also the narrowest part of Thailand and a visit to the Burmese border at Sinkorn would be nice. Next stop would be the beaches at Bangsaphan. After that you get to Chumpon where you branch off to Ranong which is very nice, but you could also continue south to Surat Thani, there's lots of signposts to caves, monkey training centre, hot springs etc as you travel the road. Once at Surat Thani you can then branch off once again to Ranong and Phuket or you could continue southwards to Krabi and lots of offshore islands and then onwards to Phuket. Some say including me that Krabi is probably the most picturesque province in Thailand.

As to wether you drive yourself or get a driver would depend on time and finances available, doing it yourself you can spend as little or as much time as you wish at any place and it really is difficult to get lost anywhere, as for overnight stops, just pull in at places that take your fancy and you might well find some nice gems to stay in. A driver might or might not be familiar with the different areas you come to and if not you are as well without one, we drove ourselves all around Krabi province with no problems and everything worth seeing is signposted in English.

Probably not made your decision any easier but a few more options for you.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Sample family journey by road from Bangkok to Phuket

To add to the good tips Cli has already provided.

You 'can' do a rental, if you chose to do that I would pick up the renatl in Hua Hin, Budget used to have a no drop off deal for minimum 5 days rental, no idea if they still have.

However getting a car+ driver works out about the same cost as fuel included, it does leave you freee not to worry about driving and also having the driver means stops for 'facilities' such a wc/eats/drinks etc is all easy and worry free.

What you could do:

Get Mr Roong to collect you from Bangkok. Ask him also to arrange to take you from Hua Hin to Dolphin Bay ( 40 mins ) if you wanted a day or so in that area ( Dolphin Bay resort great for families ) and then and / or take you via a stop in Prachuap Khiri Khan Town to one of thje nice tropical style cabana resorts in the Ban Krut /. Bang Saphan area ( about 2.5 hrs south of Hua Hin ). Kerree Waree / Arcadia resort etc, a/con with pools, quite pleasant.

From there you can go over to small Koh Talu island for snorkeling, sea kayak, lovely beaches.

Ask Mr Roong to call where you plan to stay and ask them to arrange a suitable car+driver ( a station wagon type behicle would be best for 4 of you or even a van ) - who would then take you from Bang Saphan area turning off near Chumphon and heading towards Ranong and then Khao Lak.

Relax beach time Khao Lak and then you are an hour from Phuket Airport for flight back to Bangkok.

The road route is easy, Chumphon via Ranong to Khao Lak is very winding for the first part.

I can promise you that you will get much more from your holiday than just staying at a beach and if planned well you will have an excellent time.

You 'can' do the rental but there are multiple reasons so varied for getting a car+driver, just takes all the worry away .

In places such as Dolphin Bay / Bang Saphan / Khao Lak etc the car will not be much use to you once you are in location so getting a car+driver place to place is an easy and very popular way of doing it.

From Dolphin Bay you can take the boat around Monkey island, see the national park Sam Roi Yot etc.

It will make a great holiday. My tip would be go with car+driver option, Mr Roong can handle BKK-Hua Hin area, then onwards and I am sure he will be more than happy to call ahead to where you are staying and ask the manager to sort out a reliable driver for you.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Sample family journey by road from Bangkok to Phuket

Dolphin Bay resort

http://www.dolphinbayresort.com/

Baan Grood Arcadia

http://www.bgaresort.com/index.html

Keeree Waree

http://www.keereewaree.com/facilities.html

Koh Talu island & resort - you can also stay on the island as opposed to mainland Bang saphan / Ban krut area

http://www.taluisland.com/

http://www.taluisland.com/photos.html

Though for rates better probably using a Hua Hin area booking service, tend to have better rates than direct

4. Re: HELP! Sample family journey by road from Bangkok to Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2010, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Hua Hin