We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hua Hin vs Koh Samui

Edmonton
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hua Hin vs Koh Samui

Next November will be our first time in Thailand. Two of my sons have travelled there but mostly for the "back-packing" type of experience - so not much info from them regarding what we'd like. Can anyone with experience in both places reply with recommendations as to whether two mid 50's couples would enjoy one locale over another? Also on our possible itinerary is Krabi/Hoh Lanta as I've heard it's drier there in November.

We are fairly experienced travellers from Canada who have extensive experience with AI's in Mexico. Looking for something fairly luxurious but not outrageously priced.

We are also looking at villa/vacation rentals by owners in various locales. Your comments would be most welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
17,510 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hua Hin vs Koh Samui

Same question was asked on 10 March with replies that offer relevant information.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hua Hin vs Koh Samui

Whilst both Hua Hin and Samui would be fine for you both, the weather in November on that side could be touch and go, you would be better heading to Krabi side, which I am sure you would enjoy too and the scenery on that side is more spectacular.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hua Hin vs Koh Samui

We have been lucky to have been to both places. We went to Koh Samui for a 3 day stop over, loved it so returned the following year for 2 weeks! Went to Hua HIn a couple of years ago and found it suited us even more, we are in the same age group as yourselves and love at night time to wander round the markets and visit the various eateries. The choice was immense and the prices very reasonable. We stayed at the Baan Laksasubha and are hoping that we will be able to return in September. Where ever you choose will be good. Our daughter has been to Krabi and said it was really beautiful.

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hua Hin vs Koh Samui

Just to mention the weather in Hua Hin is very different indeed in November compared with Koh Samui. Weather Hua in vs Phuket / Krabi in November about the same, however very different to Koh Samui

Rainfall on average over a 30 yr period in mm per month

November:

Pattaya = 133

Hua Hin = 190

Phuket= 188

Koh Samui = 526

December:

Pattaya = 4

Hua Hin = 19

Phuket = 70

Koh Samui =213

from Thailand Meteorological Department

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hua Hin vs Koh Samui

We loved Koh Samui but in November I don't think it's a good option Weatherwise.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hua Hin vs Koh Samui

Thank you all very much. I thought maybe most of the rainfall in Samui might be in priodic bursts or at night. But with so many obviously drier options, I guess we'll leave that island/area till another time. With there being such little rainfall in Pattaya it is appealing, but we have the impression that area has become overrun with tourists, a la Phuket. My wife was in Pattaya in the late seventies, and remembers it as being quite nice. I was in Thailand in the mid seventies and barely remember anything at all (different era for sure).

We are seeking a truly Thai experience. Do you think we can still find it in Pattaya or has it become too westernized?

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hua Hin vs Koh Samui

I don't think there's much of a Thai experience in Pattaya, but Hua Hin would be better.

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hua Hin vs Koh Samui

We are in our late 50's. Dec-Jan spent 4 weeks travelling around Thailand.

We only spent 4 nights in Jomtien then 2 weeks in Hua Hin.

For what you are seeking in regards to a truly Thai experience (which we were after also) between the two Hua Hin to us won hands down.

Day trips can take you to some amazing places.

We stayed at the Citin Loft down a little soi where we got to meet some of the locals & their pets. Very pleasant stay.

Local arobics classes where the statue of the famous Thai boxer is three times a week from 5pm. We didn't join in but some farangs did.

It is not touristy ,transport is cheap & everywhere when needed.

The Vineyard is a good 1/2 day trip.

Koh Chang is also a great place to visit.

I hope you enjoy yourselves where ever you decide to visit. CJ

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Hua Hin vs Koh Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:18