We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

Greater London...
Level Contributor
8 posts
303 reviews
Save Topic
Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

Krabi to Malaysia (Penang, KL etc)

For anyone wishing to take a bus from Krabi to Hat Yai for onward travel to Malaysia, this is the recent journey I made in August 2017. I went all the way to Penang but you can catch trains to other destinations like KL at Padang Besar train station.

You catch a Songthaew from the main road next to the river to Krabi bus station - 20 baht (I think locals pay 10-15 baht from the town but my guy negotiated. It's 60 baht from Ao Nang)

Big bus from Krabi bus station to Hat Yai Terminal 1 takes 5 hours and leaves every hour starting at 8.30am - 214 baht- toilet on the bus and 10 mins lunch break in Trang

Minivan from Hat Yai bus terminal 1 from stand 24 leaves when full and takes 1 hour - 50 baht for one ticket. They will make you pay an additional ticket for your bag to occupy a seat otherwise you have to carry it on your lap. Alternatively you can get a government bus for 44 baht from the town outside the clock tower leaving every hour.

The minivan drops you right outside thai immigration control so get your stamp out. Then you walk 10 mins to Malaysian immigration to get your stamp in. Walk another 5 mins to the train station.

Train from Padang Besar to Butterworth leaves 25 mins past every hour and takes 2 hours. Cost 11.40 MYR for one person.

From Butterworth you walk 5 mins to the ferry and pay 1.20 MYR for one person for a 15 mins ride. Ferries leaves every 20-30 mins.

All in all we spent the equivalent of 350 baht and the journey took us 12 hours. The travel agent in Krabi offered us a tourist bus/mini van for 750 baht which she was selling 9 hours.

Getting the mini van at Hat Yai to Padang Besar was stressful and I argued with the guy over space for my bag but once we set off it was ok. The journey was really smooth especially once we crossed over to Malaysia. Everything was sign posted, people pointed us in the right direction and no one tried to scam us out of any money.

Great journey 👌🏼Let me know if you have any q's

13 replies to this topic
Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

Nice and helpful post, hope moderator's can add this to FAQ or some other section ( if its there). 2 months back i too thought of travelling by road the other way (Malaysia to Thailand) but finally booked thru Air Asia (1100 thb /person) from KL to Phuket and started my trip from there.

Above way look like its more hassle then ferry or air travel but for 350 bhat its worth.

Thanks for detail post.

Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

Hello, your tips are so helpful. I want to ask a few questions. What time did you leave Krabi for Penang? Is it possible to leave in the afternoon, let's say at 3 pm. Can we still get buses/vans heading to Penang? Thank you in advance

Greater London...
Level Contributor
8 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

Hello. No problem at all. We left really early around 8am - we took the first bus from Krabi bus station at 8.30am. Not sure if you would make it in one day if you leave at 3pm because the last ferry from Butterworth to penang is around 11pm but I'm sure you could spend a night in Butterworth if you wanted to. Safe travels.

Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

noted! thank you very much! :)

Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

Hello again :)

Here's another question, when we arrive at thai immigration control to get our passport stamp out, do we have to bring all of our luggages?

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

Thanks for the tips. My boyfriend and I are going to Krabi within the next week or so and then to Malaysia by January. Would you suggest taking a bus to Penang over a ferry to langkwai?

Edited: 10 December 2017, 19:42
Greater London...
Level Contributor
8 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

Yes you carry all your luggage with you... it’s not a long walk.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
8 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

Not necessarily, the only reason we went straight to Penang is because the weather was terrible and we couldn’t get to Langkawi from Koh Lipe(no ferries were even running south from Koh Phi Phi) We actually wanted to go via langkawi and then a ferry to Penang but we had to skip that whole part including Koh Lanta because of the weather. Depends if you want to visit Langkawi I guess... ferries are not the cheapest though... even from Penang to Langkawi is about 70 ringgit one way (if I remember correctly) might as well go via Langkawi if you want to see it. Hope that helps.

Krakow, Poland
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

Just a little update:

Now they want 50 baht to go to the bus station from Krabi town but eventually we paid 30 Each. The price for localas is 20 tho so be aware (in Europe it would be called racism in my opinion..). The big bus to Hat Yai goes at 9 and cost 209 baht (encounter no 1 at Krabi bus station) there are also minivans earlier 230baht (encounter no 13).

Hope it will help ;)

Happy travels

Edited: 05 January 2018, 09:27
Greater London...
Level Contributor
8 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel

Yes I think the prices go up in high season (Nov - Jan)... I was there in low season and you can bargain a bit more.

The schedules of the busses might also change a bit with the seasons, actually good to keep that in mind.

Happy travels ✌🏼

Reply to: Krabi to Malaysia - independent travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted