We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

Just got back from Thailand and was disappointed to find out that the sea is totally overrun with large jellyfish right now - about one every 5 - 10 feet. If you're planning to snorkel - forget it - unless you don't mind getting stung repeatedly. Not life threatening, but nevertheless not enjoyable either. NO mention of this in any travel books we read :( A lot of people were going out on snorkelling trips, getting in the water for a minute, getting stung and calling it quits for the day. Patong Beach side islands were better as long as one stays relatively close to shore.

It was a total drag for me because I spend half my vacation in the water usually. Diving is fine - actually exceptional - but don't plan to float around on the water's surface.

I asked if this is common ocean conditions for this area, and the general response was usually they are not this bad around Dec/Jan. I wonder if that's true?

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

i have been stung by a jellyfish in goa, india and seen plenty in langkawi , malaysia

. in 12 visits to most of the islands of thailand i have never seen a jellyfish in thailand though i have heard that they do occassionaly appear in thai waters.

there is actually a cream that is also a suncream that once on your body doesn,t allow jelyfish to sting.

i can post a link if interested

Edited: 01 May 2010, 01:49
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

Hi, there were quite a few last year around Ko Jum and Ko Lanta for a few days in Jan/Feb, I'd not noticed them before at that time or in such numbers

Cheers

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

whilst i have been to phuket, krabi, phi phi , lanta etc . in more recent years i have usually been on samui , tao and chang .

not sure if these areas are better or not , as i said , i am always in the sea and never seen one.

though they are on the increase globally so i heard .

Edited: 01 May 2010, 02:03
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

Honestly, I was shocked how many there were. The occasional jelly no worries, but they were everywhere!! We didn't notice this on the Phuket side as much, but once we hit Krabi, basically any surrounding island in the area (plus local beaches) had them all over the place. One time we sat and counted just from the boat, and there were 9 surrounding us!

I've heard jellyfish are a sign of an unhealthy ocean (which is no doubt true in Thailand) but it was a drag not being able to snorkel. Some locals said they are now immune to the stings but a lot of people at the resort we stayed at, said one sting got them out of the water for good!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

Two weeks ago I was scuba diving out of Aonang. The first trip we went to the King Cruiser Wreck, Anemone Reef and Shark Point, all near Phi Phi Island. There were huge jelly fish in the water. One of the divers got stung on the neck. The next day we were diving locally with a group of snorkelers on the same boat. The water was full of them. At least for us divers we were able to get in the water and dive below them quickly but the snorkelers couldn't so some were stung. I had never seen such huge jelly fish. I was batting them away with my fin.

Helsinki, Finland
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

I have been in Thailand many times, and in various places. The jellyfish situation can differ between beaches a lot. It can differ also between days. For example, in Ko Tao there were quite many jellies in Tanote Bay, but almost none in Shark Bay. These jellies were so small it´s hard to see them, but they surely sting.

And then again, in Angthong marine park, there were lots of big red jellies and one stung my arm quite badly.

What I have learned from previous trips, these small jellies are quite common everywhere and the situation can change a lot.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,081 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

Two months ago I was in Krabi Province for 16 days and never saw a single jellyfish alive or dead. The previous year, I saw quite a few dead on the beach, but never one in the water. My understanding is, they come in waves. Just because they're numerous one week, doesn't mean there will be any at all the following week. In any case, I read something recently that there's a worldwide plague of jellyfish due to climate change and overfishing.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

Exactly, depends on tides and weather. There is a beach I went to twice last year in Cuba and on the TA forum people were always complaining about the jelly fish but the total of three weeks that I spent at this beach on two different trips there were no jellyfish to be seen. Prior to diving in Krabi I was in Ko Tao where I did nine dives and didn't see any jellyfish. Luck of the draw....

Sydney
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

Saw one jellyfish in the swimming area at Hong Island last Friday and a few jellyfish off Phi Phi last Sunday. No other jelly fish sighted.

Thailand
Level Contributor
815 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Jellyfish everywhere - Krabi

Something tells me that the OP has extremely exaggerated his claims. I spend at least a month a year in Krabi and have only ever seen a few of them laid on the beach.

Taking with the farang living in Krabi,i i've never met anyone who says "the sea is overrun".