We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving from Krabi (Railay) or Khao Lak?

Beijing
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving from Krabi (Railay) or Khao Lak?

Hi All. We're wondering where we'll find the best scuba diving - whether around Krabi or whether we'll be able to get good scuba diving courses and certification in Khao Lak? We want to get certified? Thanks so much!!

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving from Krabi (Railay) or Khao Lak?

Khao Lak being so close to World Class Dive and snorkelling sites in the Similan and Surin Islands was essentially founded as a Diving destination and although its appeal has now broadened it is still a mecca for divers with loads of Dive shops, many of whom offer certification.

Here is an extract from Khao Lak Yellow Pages listing the Dive Centres www.khaolakyellowpages.com/divecenters.html

and this is a link to one of the longest standing and most popular www.seadragondivecenter.com/courses/index.htm

Edited: 15 September 2010, 15:02
Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,217 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
The Dive Ao Nang
The Dive Ao Nang
448 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Hampshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving from Krabi (Railay) or Khao Lak?

hi, if you are in the Ao Nang area, I can definately recommend Ao Nang Divers, talk to Ian.

Myself, hubby and girls (12 & 14) are certified, but still very novice, had a fantastic experience with them, very patient and wont push you into something that you dont want to do... I think that they pick up from Railay by boat...

We went off Phi Phi island, only to about 8 metres and saw so much, even Black Tip Reef Sharks, very exciting for my girls...

Hope this helps

Suzanne

Edited: 15 September 2010, 16:22
Mentioned in this post
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Railay Beach
Railay Beach
Krabi Town, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
954 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Songkhla
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving from Krabi (Railay) or Khao Lak?

I was in Krabi just a couple of weeks ago, Ao Nang divers has shut down i think. Manta Point is very well ran and own thier own boat, which other dive centres use, so chances are you'll end up on thier boat anyway. The guy that runs it, Keith is spot on and very professional and friendly,.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
902 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Diving from Krabi (Railay) or Khao Lak?

I'll second the mention of Manta Point. I did two days of dives with them in April and Keith runs a very good service. I did the Super Day of three dives to Shark Point, Anemone Reef and King Cruiser Wreck then anther day doing two dives at islands local to Aonang. His dive masters are very patient and knowledgeable.

Mentioned in this post
Shark Point
Shark Point
41 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Beijing
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Diving from Krabi (Railay) or Khao Lak?

Thanks Suzanne, I've just looked at Ao Nang's web-site. It looks like they're still operating. I'll check out Manta Point now too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Beijing
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba Diving from Krabi (Railay) or Khao Lak?

Also thanks Arandora, I'm checking out what the Sea Dragon center has to offer and looking at whether it'll be good to do the diving over there are stay in Krabi!? :)

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
7. Re: Scuba Diving from Krabi (Railay) or Khao Lak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2011, 12:18