We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

Which Krabi Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
855 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

I would like to know if there was any damage or issues in Krabi when the 2004 Tsunami hit in Krabi? I never heard of anything that occured, but I would still like to know.

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,843 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

Why? It is 8 years ago. People don't want to be reminded about those terrible events. Try Google if you really want to find anything.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

odd question

have a look on youtube

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
855 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

It is part of history, and I want to know, why is that so odd.. I tried youtube and google already, I cannot find anything, thus the reason why I am asking here.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

There are numerous vids from Ao Nang, Koh Lanta, Phuket and Khao Lak on Youtube. In Krabi the major casualties occured on Phi Phi Island and the islands off Ao Nang. Ao Nang itself was very much spared from the tsunami, no casualties and only minor damages. The same for Koh Lanta.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
855 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

This is what I assumed as there were no videos, but then again that might not mean anything. It appears by map that most of those places are more protected than Phuket obviously that got the brunt of it. Thank you for the information.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

www.railay.com/railay/intro/wave_pics.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeKKOd6XLMk

Theres more on google...

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

There are loads of videos on youtube so I don't know where you're looking.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,843 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

Why an interest specifically in Krabi? Klongmuang has explained the situation which explains the absence of information about the mainland areas of Krabi.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
855 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

Since the initial Tsunami many people have mislabled the videos, thus I don't really trust what I am seeing on google anymore. Most of those videos as I know are from Phuket.

I am interested because I want to be safe, these sorts of things can repeat themselves, thus I am seeking out a nice hotel that might be slightly higher up off the beach but still with a nice view. I had considered to travel to Krabi for vacation thus the question. Ao Nang seems to actually part of Krabi region...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,843 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tsunami damage/problems in Krabi?

Ao Nang is the main tourist beach area of Krabi and was not severely affected by the Tsunami. The most badly affected part of Thailand that suffered the greatest loss of life and destruction of properties was Khao Lak and in particular the village of Ban Nam Khem just to the north where the main Tsunami Memorial is located overlooking Koh Kho Khao (Kho Khao Island).

The likelihood of an event of this magnitude repeating itself in our lifetime is very, very remote. There is as much chance of it happening in an area anywhere across the Indian Ocean that was not affected at all last time.

I'm sure you would get a more positive response if you posted a simple question about accommodation without reference to the Tsunami.,