We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in Lara beach

Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes in Lara beach

Hi

Three years ago we visited Lara beach for the first time. Our Thomas cook rep told us the mosquitoes were particularly bad and my wife was bitten alive.

We are returning this summer for the first time since and I am wondering if the summer of 2015 was particularly bad or are mosquitoes always an issue in Lara beach and we need to stock up on high DEET repellent?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lara Beach
Lara Beach
484 Reviews
Antalya, Turkey
6 replies to this topic
Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
8,612 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes in Lara beach

Generally the hotels spray their grounds and the local council the streets. If you are particularly attractive to the blighters it is worth stocking up on repellent and taking precautions. There is a repellent available locally called OFF! and most supermarkets, pharmacies etc sell it. If you are bitten there are several good cream/gels available as well. Pharmacists are the best first port of call for these.

Do keep your balcony door etc closed in the evening and avoid sitting out near grass/trees where they seem to congregate. Could be worth buying a spray or other stuff for your room.

I always take precautions as they seem to quite enjoy making a meal of me. Came to Turkey once years ago as a party of 12 people and I was the only one affected. Not talking just one bite here either!

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
London, United...
Level Contributor
630 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes in Lara beach

Just got back and was only bitten twice

Irvine, Scotland...
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes in Lara beach

Hi I got bitten pretty badly about 30 bites legs are a total mess got back to glasgow 3am friday and had to go straight to hospital legs and feet so badly swollen I could barely walk had to adapt a pair of flip flops. Doctor at hospital says I have cellulitis, now on double doze antibiotics and 30mg cocodomol and now off work which could be up to a month for the swelling to go down i'm told "total nightmare" would post pictures but legs are disgusting so i would say please get the bug protection on and keep applying it I also heard from a couple of guests that a few workers told them to buy a cheap lemon scented aftershave and cover the legs with it one guy did and says so far so good .

Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes in Lara beach

Thanks very much

When we visited last time we used a new type of plug in but didnt really go for a spray as had been to Zante for the previous 3 years and hardly saw one so were not really prepared.

We now take garlic tablets before and during a trip as have read that these help - will also stock up on some decent spray as my wife does seem to attract them.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes in Lara beach

My wife is usually a magnet for mozzies, although I can't say it's been particularly bad when we've been in Lara Beach. She's taken to using Pyramid Trek 50 or 100 repellent (the latter being the stronger of the two, but seemingly no longer available) which works extremely well.

Mentioned in this post
Lara Beach
Lara Beach
484 Reviews
Antalya, Turkey
Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes in Lara beach

Thank you - will check it out