We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in AI resorts

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in AI resorts

Now I know this may have been discussed to death on these forums but I’ve not seen any recent ones and I’ve been wondering about tipping just lately...

We went to Turkey last year and didn’t even think to tip the staff (with the exception of the maids in our room on our last day of course) but we are going to the Zeugma in Belek in September and I was wondering whether you guys on here tip when you stay on AI resorts in Turkey?

If so, when & who do you tip, how often and how much? :-)

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Belek
Belek
Serik District, Turkey
18 replies to this topic
Ballymena, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in AI resorts

We stayed at royal holiday palace and tipped our waiter about 20 lira a night he was brilliant and had our same table waiting for us every night .they deserve to be tipped as they work really hard

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in AI resorts

We tip the waiters in the buffet when service has been good and friendly, usually about 10-20 TL, and then more in the a la cartes. Also tip bar staff when we’ve been well looked after, including the pool side service. Usually give the maid something whenever we see her and then leave her more at the end of the holiday. Some places have tip boxes in the bars and restaurants for staff to share, and also in the gardens for the gardeners. Also always tip after treatments in the spa.

But the choice is yours, some people don’t tip at all, others feel by giving large tips on arrival they’ll be looked after better, whatever feels right to you.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in AI resorts

I tip in lira and around £10 to £20 a day depending on how good the service is

I tip the maid once

Bar staff and waiters

But like em said what ever feels right to you

I always find they are always very greatful just like I am greatful they look after me

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in AI resorts

I really don’t like the idea of tipping at the start of something (a meal / a visit to a hotel bar etc) so that I can get good service.

I’d much rather tip after I’ve had a few drinks at the bar, or after a few rounds of drinks at night after dinner if they’ve been great, and then if they give me even better service as a result then so be it.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in AI resorts

Always tip in Lira as that is Turkey's currency. Staff have difficulties in exchanging other currencies for lira.

It's worth losing a bit on exchange rate to pick up some 10 and 20 TL notes in UK supermarkets/department stores in the run up to your holiday by just asking ad hoc. Many (most?) ordering for home delivery or collect don't allow you to specify what denomination notes you require. Or does anyone know better?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in AI resorts

I've heard that they're happy with either Euros or Lira?

Should I bring Lira then?

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in AI resorts

I tip in lira

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in AI resorts

Always tip in Lira. Euros are only taken in tourist areas so no good to to the waiters etc.

Like most people here on the forum I would recommend only taking Lira as the Euro prices are always at an exchange rate to the advantage of the shopkeepers. Lira is the national currency, they have to accept it, so if something’s priced in Euro just tell them you’re paying in Lira. The exchange rate for sterling to TL is excellent at the moment so take advantage of it.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in AI resorts

Afraid I disagree with em

In my opinion your far better taking euro for shopping

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,311 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping in AI resorts

We'll always disagree on this Seán!

Liam,

If you search the forums you’ll find dozens of threads about which currency is best......have a read and make your own decision! Whichever you take will be accepted, but always tip in Lira!

Reply to: Tipping in AI resorts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted