We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is kas worth the trouple ??

UAE-Dubai
4 posts
Save Topic
is kas worth the trouple ??

I'm willing to go with my family for the second time to turkey

I've heard about kas , saw some pictures , but I'm not sure

If it is worth the trouple of taking a flight from istanbul to kas with a family with young and eldery people . What is its main attraction?

Thanks in advance !!

Merseyside
Level Contributor
29 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is kas worth the trouple ??

Hi, when we were there a couple of weeks ago there were lots of Canadians and Americans who had taken the trouble to travel from Istanbul. Is it worth it? I personally dont think so, its a very beautiful place, well suited for couples and families with young children, although there is no entertainment for them as there is in other parts of Turkey. Its not a party-goers resort, and its quite expensive compared to other parts of Turkey that we have been to in the last 8 years.

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is kas worth the trouple ??

Well I guess that depends on what you want from a holiday.

If you want somewhere laid back, bursting with atmosphere and not full of rowdy party goers, then I,d say yes definately worth the effort of travelling down from Istanbul. (Hundreds of Istanbulites can,t be wrong LOL)

At ptarmagan says, the hotels don,t lay on entertainment like some of the other more touristy places do - its not that kind of resort.

Its more of an independent holiday maker type of place rather than the bigger round 'em up and pack 'em in type of place.

And yes compared to some resorts it is more expensive but that is the price you pay to keep Kas as not one of the run of the mill Turkish resorts.

If you do decide to come, I,m sure you will love it.

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,568 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is kas worth the trouple ??

The scenery in and around Kas is truly stunning. I live in Side and it took me 5 hours on 3 x buses to get there. Was it worth it? Ohhh yes! And I suggest you stay at the Hotel Hideaway for the best views and value for money too. There is a wonderful boat trip you can take over to the Island of Meis (say Mace) in Greece for a day trip. Also a couple of discos down by the harbour for the younger members - and wonderful restaurants with stunning views dotted throughout Kas. Kalkan is just half an hour away and also very pretty and scenic. Both Kas and Kalkan hae market days which are worht a visit too.

Perrysburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is kas worth the trouple ??

I loved Kas and plan to visit it again in 2011. As AslansMum said, it's more of an independent traveler type of destination, but you won't find it difficult to find things to see and do while you're there. We took two boat trips (Meis and Kekova, and I highly recommend the Kekova trip), shopped in the village, ate at some really good restaurants, and just enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere while soaking in some truly magnificent views. We stayed at the Hotel Hideaway and thought it was absolutely perfect in all ways.

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is kas worth the trouple ??

Expensive must be a relative thing. Istanbul was as expensive as New York, Paris or London, certainly not so in Kaş.

Kalkan, Fethiye, Bodrum nor Antalya are either more expensive but certainly not less expensive. If you eat at the finest restaurants anywhere you pay a premium for the great food, the service and the atmosphere. There are several very inexpensive "home cooking" (ev yemekleri) restaurants close to the city center. Average lunch/dinner prices for 2 with 2 beers or 2 wine should not run more than 20 Turkish Lira, depending upon your levels of gluttony of course. :-)

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,370 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is kas worth the trouple ??

We spent five days/four nights in Kas following a weeklong conference in Antalya and a weekend in Istanbul. Our days in Kas were among the most memorable of any trips we've taken over the years.

Kas is a very relaxing, scenic spot. The village is nestled in a scenic bay framed by a Greek Isle (Meis). It has a small but very vibrant shopping district, which we explored every evening. You have a wide choice of restaurants.

You can choose to explore Kas with adventure, such as diving, or take scenic cruises to Meis or Kekova. The surrounding area has great natural beauty (beach at Patara) and historical significance (many impressive ancient ruins).

Best of all, it's hands-down the most value of any country on the Mediterranean. For example, we paid just USD70 per room per night for a wonderful seaside room with full breakfast. Restaurants were extremely economical.

The only downside I can see is that it's not close to an airport, lying midway between Antalya and Dalaman.

Reigate
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is kas worth the trouple ??

Hi

My wife and I have recently come back from a holiday in Kas, staying at the Phellos Hotel. This was our second visit to Kas, we went there five years ago and I was a little worried about whether we would like it as much this time.

Well I have to say that although there have been some changes since we first went it is still well worth the effort of getting there. It is a lovely laid back village with none of the hassle that I hear about in other resorts. It does not have to be expensive either, we ate in some good restaurants such as Meydan, Alper and Calamar for about 25-30 lira each and we thought that was good value.

I would not say that it is the best resort for families with young children, but there we saw plenty of children who seemed to be having a great time, I suppose that it depends on what sort of entertainment your kids need.

There is plenty to see and do though and I would recommend it.

Dave78

8. Re: is kas worth the trouple ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations