We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kas two adults one 15yr Boy

kent
2 posts
Save Topic
Kas two adults one 15yr Boy

Hi, have spent some time looking at active/adventure holidays and not having been on any sort of package holiday before feel a little wary of it all being designed for us and doing things in groups (like eating in restaurants and 'dancing!') So then looked at all the independant activities you can book in Kas/ Dalyan etc and the Hotels (not sure if we a re hotel people either but might be nice for a change, Hotel Hideaway?) However with one 15yr old canoe mad boy it would be nice if there was some same age company or he could 'do his own thing'/ activity. Do you think even if not on an activity package the Hideaway would have other teenagers that may be doing the same things?Also; would we be better in a villa type thing rather than a hotel (Or would we miss out on the other teenagers element) we are all vegetarian and love to shop for local food and eat out too!? How easy is it to book these activities and read that it was better done in advance but surely it would be good to see how we feel and then choose and activity!?Loads of questions here, ah, also, if very hot will we want or be able to do any activities? July/Aug 2010 intended time to visit. many thanks in advance for any tips or advice thanks Sharon.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
590 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kas two adults one 15yr Boy

If you want company for your son you need to be in a hotel or apartment with a communal pool. A private villa isn't likley to give him any companionship.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,219 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kas two adults one 15yr Boy

We just returned from five days in Kas. It's a fantastic community. What we especially liked is that it's big enough to have a ton of things going on, but small enough to easily walk around, get to know locals, etc. There are many outfitters running all sorts of adventure activities. Your son will end up getting paired up with others, I would suspect.

For sure, stay in a hotel. We stayed at Medusa Hotel and loved it. It's economical, clean, perfectly located on the sea and just minutes to the heart of town.

We visited a lot of other villages and none of them were as well suited as Kas.

kent
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kas two adults one 15yr Boy

Thanks for the replies I am now consideing the Exodus package as when I looked into flights and hotels etc the timings of flights and transfers it looked like a bit of a hassle, all for being independent but perhaps on this occaision having it all sorted will give us a break! Notice others on the forum are asking about the Exodus package, must be some people out there that have been before?

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
491 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kas two adults one 15yr Boy

We stayed in Kas for a week and also found it a lovely friendly town. We were with Exodus on a walking tour. Stayed each night in Kas and taken out each day to various spots to walk, swim and canoe. As mentioned there are lots of offices offering adventure type activities if you did go independent. You could always tack on a few days at the end on your own if needed to do all you want. It's very easy to get around using buses between towns.

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kas two adults one 15yr Boy

Kas is usually quite hot during Jul/Aug, any chance of coming in Sep/Oct? The weather then is superb, the water is still very warm and canyoning is still an option. Hiking during the middle of the day might be out unless you can arrange something in the mountains, but the other activities should not be limited in Jul/Aug.

15 is a good age for sea kayak and I am sure your son will enjoy the other activities as well. I agree with TumbleweedandCactus that Medusa Hotel is a great hotel to stay. Peter and Nurcin are the hosts and they are both professional archaeologists! The peninsula requires you have some sort of transportation and the hotels usually do offer free transport. Most people who come for a week or less usually prefer to stay in Kas proper. Just stay a bit away from the town center as there is a lot of "nightime" activity which could interrupt a night's rest.

Here is a list of some hotels and their locations on Google Maps:

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

I am also a vegetarian and I LOVE Turkish food because of the huge variety of veggie dishes available. Meatless in Turkish is "et seez"? (phonetic spelling) Prepared in olive oil is "zatinya"? If they say no then it was cooked in some sort of meat broth. Most restaurants speak enough English that you should have no trouble describing what you want. The hotel should be able to help guide you to some great places to eat.

Considering Fitness and having the proper clothing and other articles is important regarding Adventure Activities. I posted this recently. Be prepared when you take an Adventure Holiday and you will have a great time!

…blogspot.com/2010/05/activity-condition-equ…

Bougainville Travel can help you locally if you would rather arrange your own flights to Dalaman or Antalya Airports or even Istanbul. Some travelers book a cheap flight to Istanbul and then get a Turkish Airlines flight to Dalaman or Antalya. (Dalaman is closer). If you book with Turkish Airlines far in advance you can get some really cheap domestic flights via their web site. (In English) http://www.thy.com/en-INT/index.aspx

Once you arrive in Turkey, BT can arrange everything else including airport transport to/from Kas and hotel accommodations. BT offers a multi-activity week or you can just pick and choose. Write them direct from the web site.

Here is a list of all their tours/activities.

http://www.kas-adventure.travel/tours

They are also on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/bougainville.turizm

I hope this helps and that you enjoy your visit to Kas. Let me know if you need any other help.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
29 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kas two adults one 15yr Boy

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Hideaway and my 23 year old daughter was the only one of that age there and she missed people of her own age, mainly couples or families with very young children stay there. The hotel is small, but very beautiful in a quiet location yet only 5 minute walk to the centre. There are canoing trips, canyoning, paragliding and all sorts of activities like that, but I doubt very much he would meet anyone of his own age group in Kas.

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kas two adults one 15yr Boy

ptarmagan, I agree that many hotels cater to families and the 18-25?+ age group may not find other guests of the same age depending upon the time of year and where they stay. However, my personal observation of Kas over the years shows a definite increase in recent years of a younger crowd who have either become jaded to the "fast lane" of Bodrum or just want something different to include Adventure Activities. Maybe I am just getting too old to distinguish between 40-somethings and 20-somethings, I hope not :-) In any case, if a person of legal age (18+) move between Mavi Bar and Red Point for a couple of nights they will find no shortage of young people. If the youngsters are under age, they can still "hang out" at those places to meet others but parental supervision would be a good idea and not difficult what with the restaurants and other establishments close in to the Kas Town Square (meydan) where the Ataturk statue is located.

Good luck

8. Re: Kas two adults one 15yr Boy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations