We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teenage girls and Kas

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Teenage girls and Kas

Hi everybody - thinking about next year's holidays (already!) and have a vague plan to fly to Antalya and visit Cirali for a couple of nights and then onto Kas - or maybe Kalkan? for a week. We have 2 teenage girls, who attracted a lot of attention from the Turkish guys when we visited Alanya (first time to Turkey) earlier this year, do you think they'd enjoy Kas? They enjoy shops, eating out, being admired(!), swimming etc. Is Kas safe enough for them to be out on their own? They will be 17 and 15.

Thanks for your help. Have looked at both Kas and Kalkan, but it seems that Kalkan is quite brit-orientated - not that that's a bad thing, of course!

F45+

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teenage girls and Kas

Hi F45

Apologies for late reply.

Kas is an extremely safe town for all ages.

The town square where the main restaurants and bars are, is quite small and very very friendly.

The Turkish people here are very warm and hospitable.

I,m sure your girls will receive many admiring glances, but men the world over love to admire beauty :-)

The young men in Kas are not pushy or a nuisance.

Kas has a very unique atmosphere and attracts tourists from many countries, it has a very cosmopolitan feel to it.

I,m sure your family will have a lovely time.

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teenage girls and Kas

As a former resident of Miami, Florida, I was used to seeing lots of bikinis on sidewalks and streets. However, last night was the first time I saw two teen age girls walking around in bikinis in the shopping areas. They were admired to say the least but I noticed NO comments nor approaches by any male, Turkish or other. Although I think it best NOT to walk around with just a bikini when away from the swimming areas and beaches, it is not unsafe to do so, just odd.

I agree with AslansMum that Kaş is quite safe. Drinking ages are 18 in Turkey and it is probably a good idea to keep and eye on under-18 youngsters if they want to dance and "hang out" in any bars on the Kaş Town Square or meydan.

I am sure you all will enjoy your time in Kaş. Hoş geldeniz

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teenage girls and Kas

Hi Hobbittr

Thanks for replying. I agree with you and I certainly wouldn't want my girls wandering around town in bikinis, it's not very polite! I guess it's just a case of taking care, as you would at home or anywhere.

Both girls are under 18, so would probably lurk around keeping an eye on them, without cramping their style too much!

Many thanks for your help, I feel reassured that they won't get hassled now. The guys in Alanya were quite pushy, but not generally in a scary way, just good natured.

F45

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teenage girls and Kas

Hi Aslans Mum and many thanks for the reply. The girls are at an age when they want freedom, but not too much (from my point of view!!). Kas sounds lovely. Have been looking at apartments to rent (next year) - what area would be nice to stay in and peaceful at night? Gone are my all night partying days (sadly!!).

Sorry to land with with another question, actually, while I'm at it, is Kas preferably to Kalkan? Loaded question, I know!

Thanks again for your help.

F45

Merseyside
Level Contributor
29 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teenage girls and Kas

Know exactly what you mean I have a daughter too, and been travelling to Turkey for 8 years BUT Kas is COMPLETELY different. The Turkish men there have a completel y different mentality from other parts, and they dont seem to be that interested in girls. We returned 2 days ago and I sat people watching at night, and none of the girls were bothered by men. Plus its a family resort no discos or dance bars (to my daughters annoyance) - I can assure you that you will have no problems with your daughters - I was very surprised myself. Enjoy its the most beautiful place in Turkey Ive been to so far.

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teenage girls and Kas

Hi again F45

If you want to stay in the town itself then there are many apartments that can be rented. Some with pools and most within easy walking distance of the harbour area.

There are also lots of villas out on the peninsula but you would have to rely on public transport or a hire car.

There are strict noise laws for Kaş at night - all bars have to lower their music at midnight and all music must finish by 3am.

Oooh Kaş or Kalkan - definately a loaded question :-) and wouldn,t be fair to decry Kalkan as its down to personal choice but IMHO Kaş has a much more Turkish feel than Kalkan. Its a working town rather than just a resort.

Hi Ptarmagan

So your daughter didn,t find Queen Bar or Red Point then?

What a lovely compliment for you to pay to the young men of Kaş. It is true they are not pushy (but I,d lay money on the fact they won,t have missed a pretty girl LOL).

I love the fact that you can sit in places like Efendi Bar and watch the world go buy and listen to great music.

*sigh*

chester
Level Contributor
66 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Teenage girls and Kas

We just returned from 2 weeks in Kas with our (tall, blonde) 16 year old daughter. All of us agreed it was the best holiday we have had in years. After GCSEs the tall blonde one just wanted to relax, and we certainly did that. It is a brilliant, unique place - agree with everything written in the forums by those who have been back time and time again. As it was our first trip to Turkey we really did not know what to expect and of course I was duly warned that the TBO would be subject to much unwanted attention and that my wife and I would basically spend large chunks of the holiday fending off amorous Turks. Far from it, the people are delightful. Naturally the odd glance and comments were passed, but all in a completely unthreatening, amusing way. Eg the young guy with the carpet shop by the Lion Tomb - "you have two beautiful girls" -

said with a beaming smile after hopping off his scooter and giving us an

impromptu tour of the tomb and inscriptions (I concurred). Culturally the place is fascinating and all the activity options will give you plenty to keep the family occupied. If you stay on the peninsula a car is very handy, although the bus into town is

only 2tl. Our daughter simply loved the place. She also visited Kalkan for a night where 4 of her friends were staying with parents and whilst her view was that for her age the nightlife was definitely livelier there she much preferred the quieter, more authentic charms of Kas.

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Teenage girls and Kas

Lovely review Brynsdad.

Now you can see why I decided to relocate here 11 years ago :-)

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Teenage girls and Kas

Nice to hear a very postive review of Kas, but it doesn't surprise me that you enjoyed it. It certainly does have 'something' and you chose well for a first visit to Turkey

Kas doesn't appeal to everybody (thankfully) and the transfer time from the airports can put people off but it draws some people back again and again

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Teenage girls and Kas

Hi F45,

Just to reasurre you here in Cirali you wont have any problems with any harrassment..and this is coming from experience as a mother 40ish with 1 ..16 year daughter..who also looks much older than she really is..is often mistaken for 18 or 19yrs..

Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations