We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eris restaurant

South Wales
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eris restaurant

Was thinking twice about writing this but know that if this had happened to me in the UK I would be on to Environmental health because it's downright dangerous.

My husband and I went here for a meal on a last night. It all started well. We asked if we could go to the upstairs terrace which was lovely, but a little dim.

The owner (I believe) recommended the lamb shank to my husband. I ordered Chicken Kiev.

When the meals arrived they looked lovely - beautifully presented. My husband's lamb shank tasted great. My chicken portion was huge the little that I ate from the outside of it tasted fine. However, when I opened it up to see what exactly it was stuffed with I was shocked to discover it was completely raw inside. As we all now raw/undercooked chicken can make you very ill and could even kill you.

We called the owner who looked shocked when we showed him the meal. He disappeared with my plate. We naturally did not want to remain in this restaurant so went to leave. On seeing the owner I said that to serve food in this way is downright dangerous. I received no apology for this, his only comment was "He (pointing at the chef) cannot cook very well" - you're telling me. He's the perfect person to employ if you want to poison your guests!!! This may have been a "one-off", I don't know, but if you choose to eat here good luck to you!!!

sheffield
Level Contributor
414 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eris restaurant

I am going to Kas later this year and have a stomach condition which means that I am prone to stomach bugs and food poisoning. In the light of this I am very grateful for this entry and will be avoiding it ! Thanks!

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eris restaurant

I have had many meals in the Eris Restaurant and although it is not my favourite in Kas I have generally found it to have consistently good food, well cooked, presented well with good service.

Whilst I can understand the OP's concerns regarding her visit there and certainly do not question her experience, I do not think that it is typical for this particular restaurant. I am surprised at the owner's comment which is not acceptable and does not inpsire confidence but at the same time I would perhaps have given him the opportunity to put things right before walking out. However I was not there and may have taken the same action in similar circumstances.

The standards of many restaurants in Turkish resorts can fluctuate greatly - a change in chef or other key staff can have a massive effect on quality. Given the nature of seasonal employment in businesses that depend on tourism staff and standards can change very quickly.

As I said, I do not question the OP's comments, all I would say is do not necessarily write a place off due to one bad experience. You should of course make the owners aware of either poorly cooked food or bad service (we British are not usually very good at that). To me it is sometimes the way that they deal with such complaints that says more about a business than the problem itself.

We went to one of our very favourite restaurants in Kas two or three years ago and unusally experienced slow service and luke warm main courses. We mentioned it to the waiter and our plates were taken away and a little time later returned to us with no great improvement.

We left shortly afterwards having only paid for the starters and drinks. It turned out that they had just catered for a wedding party and their head waiter was not working that evening. Ok so they should know how to run a restaurant - not our problem.

With some apprehension we returned later in the year and several times since, we have had great service and great food everytime. I am glad that we didn't let one unfortunate incident put us off completely.

Edited: 27 July 2010, 06:29
South Wales
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eris restaurant

As I said at the bottom of my original post, this may have been a "one off". I'll leave the choice of whether to go there to others, all I can do is detail my experiences exactly as they happened.

I really don't know what the owner could have done to rectify such a situation - how can you "put right" serving someone an inedible and dangerous meal - as there was no way I could have stomached another meal.

My parents were in the hospitality trade and I am more than aware of how a bad review can affect a business and how a change of staff can change the experience, but I am also more than aware of the effects of eating raw chicken can have on someone's health. That to me was more important.

As with everything the choice of whether to go to a particular establishment is down to the individual.

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eris restaurant

What a shame you had this experience, especially on your last night as that will be one of the memories that will linger the longest....

Eris restaurant is not a restaurant I frequent as I find the food very bland, but that is just my opinion, many people love it there.

Bad or unhealthy restaurants are taken seriously in Kas. If you had reported this to the Tourist Office the relevant authorities would have been notified. Or even gone to one of the doctors and reported this.

I know of an incident last year where someone went to a doctor after being ill. The person felt they had food poisoning. The next day, even before results were back from the hospital, officials were sent to the said restaurant. The kitchens were thoroughly inspected and the owner was fined 5,000TL and this was BEFORE there was any proof of food poisoning. The very fact that there was a complaint warranted the fine according the the health department.

I hope the rest of your holiday in Kas was up to your expectations.

South Wales
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eris restaurant

It was more than I expected - I loved it and hope to return very soon. I see this as just a glitch and it certainly does not colour my opinion of Kas. You are very lucky to live in such a beautiful place., with fantastic people.

Edited: 27 July 2010, 19:22
London, England
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eris restaurant

I've been going to Kas for over 10 years now and eat at Eris at least once every time (creatures of habit!). Have never had an unsatisfactory meal (not got quite as spicy a palate as others - so plain, grilled chicken suits me!) and always had a warm and lovely welcome from 'Mr & Mrs Eris'. Do hope this this was just a one off and you have the opportunity to revisit Kas and - dare I say - Eris' again.

South Wales
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eris restaurant

Kas? Yes, I def would like to visit again. Eris? The raw chicken gate incident has put me off. But I agree with you in that in may have been a one off and would urge people to do what they want to do and if they want to visit there that's fine as they may have an entirely diff experience to me x

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,777 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eris restaurant

We were in Kas for five days this past June - wonderful trip! We were impressed with the diversity and quality of restaurants. Certainly, your experience was not pleasant and thanks for sharing. We were fortunate to have had a much better experience at Eris.

9. Re: Eris restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations