We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of ramadan

Burnley
Level Contributor
72 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
End of ramadan

I will be visiting Kas on the 10th of September, I believe that it is the end of Ramadam, people will obviously be celebrating, will that mean banks & the PTT is closed for a few days, or do things tend to carry on as normal.

Dawn

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of ramadan

Hi Dawn

The banks and PTT are officially closed on the Thursday and Friday although they actually close lunchtime on the Wednesday.

Other than that I doubt you will notice any difference :-)

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of ramadan

Not sure about the PTT but the banks wil be closed however the ATM's will be ok as they are filled up over the 4 day holiday period if you need a bank to change cash do it before you get here however all shops & resterants will accept Euros Dollars & Sterling in payment but just check the exchange rate.

Burnley
Level Contributor
72 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of ramadan

Thanks for the info know what i'm doing now,cant wait getting very excited

Dawn

Edited: 18 August 2010, 03:41
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of ramadan

We were there at the end of Ramadan two years ago and the place was packed, especially the restaurants, a couple of days later and it was back to normal.

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: End of ramadan

When we lived in Istanbul, I tried to be careful about "conspicuous" eating in public areas such as a ferry while crossing the Bosphorus. I never seem to feel the same way in Kaş although many Turkish people fast here also. What I like about the "Sugar Holiday" (Şeker Bayarmı) at the end of Ramadan is that all the holiday goers and the locals both are in a much more festive mood. That being said, expect crowds and book as soon as possible if you have not already. Flights to and from Dalaman that weekend are almost all booked on Turkish Airlines. Lots of Turkish tourists will be here so there will be more cars and scooters. Crowds are relative, the main non-vehicular avenue in Istanbul, Istiklal Caddesi, has HUGE crowds. Kaş can seem crowded on occasion but I have never experienced the claustrophobic feeling that I did in Istanbul.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: End of ramadan

I too was in Kaş two years ago for the end of Ramazan/Ramadan and for Şeker Bayarmı, it was the busiest I have ever seen it.

I was told that because of the way the holiday dates fell in relation to the weekend in 2008 that many Turks were able to take a longer holiday that year than in most others and consequently Kaş was quite full.

Burnley
Level Contributor
72 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: End of ramadan

Thanks for all the helpful advice sounds like the atmosphere will be more vibrant than normal, but will be a nic e experience

dawn

8. Re: End of ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2011, 14:55
Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations