We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunbird Hotel

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Topic
Sunbird Hotel

Will be staying in the Sunbird Hotel and wondering if the bars,beaches,restaraunts and shops are within walking distance or is it taxis or dolmus needed. thanks, Bob

Mentioned in this post
Sunbird Hotel
Sunbird Hotel
179 Reviews
Side, Turkey
4 replies to this topic
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
858 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunbird Hotel

The beach is a 10 minutes gentle stroll, passing many bars and eateries along the way.

Also be aware that the Sunbird is open to the public for eating and drinking and was one of the few places in Side to get an English Breakfast - I don't know if you still can.

Mentioned in this post
Sunbird Hotel
Sunbird Hotel
179 Reviews
Side, Turkey
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunbird Hotel

Thanks Tim

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,891 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunbird Hotel

The Sunbird is just close to my apartment and is a lovely hotel, so too is the management who all speak good English. Mostly it is the English who stay there but it never seems to be busy and they have a lot of "events" on like live music, cheap buffet dinners, belly dancers, etc. It has a nice swimming pool and is very clean. The food is good too. My brother stayed there last year and loved it.

As the above post says, it is a 10-minute walk down to the beach but quite a steep hill to get up when you return. Sunbird has a free beach bus every morning that comes back late every afternoon, if you prefer to use that? But I think that goes to East Beach which is a lot quieter than the one you are a 10-minute walk from which is known as West Beach = my preferred beach because of the people watching there! However, both beaches are good, sandy and good for swimming but East Beach has quite a big drop whereas West Beach is gently sloping.

From the beach, walk along the promenade to your left for half-an-hour and you will be in Old Town Side with its multitude of shops, bars and restaurants ... our favourite one by far is Apollonik Restaurant which is right next to the Apollo Temple - which is where Anthony and Cleopatra fell in love - and it overlooks the pretty little harbour. Apollonik reminds me of a Hansel and Gretal house and don't miss the biggest rubber tree I have ever seen - it's on your way to the toilet - and inside is an exact replica of how Side used to look many many moons ago - fascinating and it must have taken whoever did it weeks to do, if not months.

If you haven't done it before, I can recommend the white water rafting trip which is good for all ages and abilities. In fact the last time I went on that trip there was a 2 year old as well as an 82 year old on our raft and no-one fell in. If you do happen to go in, don't swim even if you can, just float on your back and you will be hauled back in by the guide. It costs 30 Euros = £26.26 per person but that includes lunch of trout or chicken etc but drinks are extra. At the end of the day you can buy a DVD of you doing the white water rafting if you like and they will deliver it to you the next day at your hotel. The trip goes every day of the week and they divide you into different groups of nationalities ... so only English speaking people would be on your raft ... x Angela in Side x

Mentioned in this post
Sunbird Hotel
Sunbird Hotel
179 Reviews
Side, Turkey
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply