We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Dec-Jan 2019

Level Contributor
41 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Dec-Jan 2019

Hi guys,

I am planning to visit turkey for honeymoon for at least 10 days starting from last week of December.

Istanbul is a must and will definitely be there for approx. 7 days.

However, I am considering Goreme for 3 days, just for balloon ride. I know the weather would be cold and balloon rides cancel a lot due to winter winds etc. So i am keeping 3 days for a safer side.

Should i visit Goreme first or Istanbul? and what other activities or attractions i can visit in the rest of 2 days in Goreme?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Goreme
Goreme
Cappadocia, Turkey
6 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Dec-Jan 2019

As long as you realise that unless it's unseasonable warm, it'll be below freezing at night and barely above freezing during the day, you'll be all right. No-one can say beforehand whether it might not snow or storm for three days straight, but 3 days does sound sensible (it's also the amount of time I'd recommend staring there anyway, snowstorm or not).

The advice generally given is that you should get to Goreme first if possible, and see Istanbul on the way back. There's enough cave trekking in Goreme to keep you occupied for a week.

Mentioned in this post
Goreme
Goreme
Cappadocia, Turkey
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Dec-Jan 2019

Cappadocia is amazing and very romantic for a honeymoon, and the contrast between it and Istanbul makes for a great holiday combination.

It will be cold but just dress appropriately, and if it is frosty or snowy, it will be even more beautiful. Balloons fly all year round, and can be cancelled if the wind isnt right at any time of the year, but there is so much to love in this area whether you fly or not. Take a look at the Cappadocia Things to Do section, and some local travel agency websites, to see all you can do - more than enough to keep you occupied for 3 or 4 days.

Simplify logistics, and avoid any weather delay impacting your flight home, by travelling to Cappadocia as soon as you arrive in Turkey. Even better if you can fly THY from home to Cappadocia, via Istanbul, all on one ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Level Contributor
41 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Dec-Jan 2019

heidotheroad and GrandGourmand , Thanks a lot guys. Its really helpful indeed.

London, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Dec-Jan 2019

I would second the above comments. Cappadocia first and then Istanbul. If you like hiking then perhaps a 6/4 day split between Istanbul and Cappadocia would be better. If you are not a hiker then I think 7/3 is perfect.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
41 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Dec-Jan 2019

@Mark B Thank you so much.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Dec-Jan 2019

Just adding to what the others have suggested, don’t get your heart set on the hot air balloon as cancellations during that time of year are high! We went in March and were only able to fly on our 5th morning. Apart from that it’s a beautiful city with plenty of other things to explore and enjoy:)

Reply to: Honeymoon in Dec-Jan 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted