We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering Jordan with EU ID card

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
404 posts
Entering Jordan with EU ID card

I'm aware that EU citizens except Croatians can enter Jordan through Aqaba airport on an ID card instead of a passport. This is stated in Timatic, the database used by airlines https://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?SpecData=1&VISA=&page=visa&NA=SE&AR=00&PASSTYPES=PASS&DE=JO&selDest=Jordan&selTrans=Use+ctrl-key+to+select+or+deselect+transit+point%28s%29+above&user=OLYMPIC&subuser=OLYMPICB2C

It says, however, that one condition is that you fly specifically from Brussels, which sounds very strange seeing as there are also flights from other European cities, such as Helsinki, Copenhagen and Bergamo.

So if any local could contact the authorities in Aqaba and ask the following two questions, it would be much appreciated (I have tried, but they don't respond to e-mails, and no Jordanian embassy even knows of this provision):

1. Do you actually have to fly from Brussels to enter with an ID? What about other European cities?

2. If entering on an ID, are you allowed to visit Wadi Rum and Amman during your visit as well (by bus)?

Thanks in advance

Edited: 12 July 2017, 15:25
Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
568 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Entering Jordan with EU ID card

As far as I know entering a number country your requir a valid passport; and honestly it's not a big deal to carry the passport with you.

Enjoy your trip

Petra
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Entering Jordan with EU ID card

Even when flying from Brussels, if you do not book the entire trip / package via a tour operator (who is then responsible for bringing you into the country and registering you) you DO need a passport valid for another 6 months. Have a great time in Jordan !

Patricia (Petra Bed & Breakfast - Horse Riding Jordan)

Amman
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
3. Re: Entering Jordan with EU ID card

I suggest you read the info on that link again!!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
404 posts
4. Re: Entering Jordan with EU ID card

@PetraBedandBreakfast I will be booking through a tour operator

Petra
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Entering Jordan with EU ID card

Then the only way to get a 100% correct answer is to contact that tour operator. They should be able to give you a clear and definite answer about the things you need to have to be able to travel to Jordan with them.

Patricia (Petra Bed & Breakfast - Horse Riding Jordan)

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,733 posts
172 reviews
6. Re: Entering Jordan with EU ID card

I think also it is not so difficult to take a passport with you, Jordan in any case is not a part of Europe.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
404 posts
7. Re: Entering Jordan with EU ID card

@Khamlia Too bad I don't have one, and it costs a fortune to get one from the Swedish embassy

Edited: 13 July 2017, 00:42
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,733 posts
172 reviews
8. Re: Entering Jordan with EU ID card

But why would you get it from Swedish Embassy when you are from Switzerland? LOL In Switzerland can you get a Swiss passport or?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
404 posts
9. Re: Entering Jordan with EU ID card

@Khamlia I LIVE in Switzerland, big difference. If I was Swiss I'd Need a passport for Aqaba regardless - this special rule is only for EU citizens.

Edited: 13 July 2017, 01:20
Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
568 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Entering Jordan with EU ID card

EU citizens and any nationalities including Jordanians will need a passport to get in and out in Jordan.